Easy Swimmer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lark

AC Members
Feb 8, 2004
Visit site
Just wanted to let everybody know that my Pearlscale survived the 2000 mile road trip. Thanks for all the input. I found a styrofoam cooler that was used to deliver Omaha steaks at a garage sale. If I ever see another one at a garage sale I am definitely picking it up. It is very heavy duty styrofoam and it holds almost 8 gallons of water.

What I did was line it with plastic, put some of the gravel from his tank in the bottom, and include a large airstone. Before the move, I did water changes every day for 3 days and fed very little. I put half tank water and half new water in the cooler the day of the move and transfered him. I put him behind the front passenger's seat on a couple of towels on the floor.

The temperatures the whole way were mostly in the upper seventies lower eighties during the day. The route I took was I-40 from Arkansas to the end in California and then headed up to the Bay Area. I don't know if I would of been successful if it had been later in the year since I went through a lot of desert.

I didn't make any long stops and I drove all day from morning until the evening when it was cool again. I never moved the cooler or opened it. When I got to the hotel I was staying in while looking for a residence, I did another water change and fed lightly.

I transferred him to his tank as soon as I was getting moved in. I put stress coat in his water and put a lot of his old gravel in the filter box. So far he looks great. No redness. No dropsy. Very active and enjoying his new digs.

Here are some tips I hope might come in handy for someone attempting the same thing:

* Keep trucking. Start early. Stop late. Run the air conditioner.
Only stop for gas. Pack a lunch.

* An airstone is a must. I used a Penn Plax Silent Air. I would
recommend it if someone asked. I chose it because it was all I
could find. It wasn't silent but it ran strong for 5 days on two D
cell batteries.

* Plan your route carefully and be sure to bring extra bottles of
tank water just in case.

* Find a sturdy styrofoam cooler with a well fitting lid. Not one
of those $1.50 ones from the liquor store.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store