Betta Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

apache1375

AC Members
May 23, 2004
Wakefield, Massachusetts
Visit site
I have had a Betta tank for a while and the one I had just died. I changed the water and added conditioner to get rid of the chlorine. 2 days after the new fish was in the tank he was dead. I got a new one and teh same thing happened. So I returned him and got a replacement. Could this have been caused by it being a bad batch of fish or something was in the tank?

2 gallon tank
1 male betta
1 small Penn-Plax Smallworld filter

betta.jpg

Last edited:

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Well I'll be honest, the 2 gallon container doesn't help you any. It is hard to keep under control, and maintenance is big for a small aquarium.

But more importantly, the 2 gallon tank never cycled. And in such a small area of water, toxins build up much quicker. Ammonia was probably through the roof.

Were you able to test the water, and if so what was the readings you got? (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate). You shouldn't have any nitrate in a brand new setup tank, but Ammonia is deadly in even small amounts.

kikuchiyo

Shogun
May 9, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
Honestly, in a 2 gallon with a just a betta, should cycling be that big a deal, if you keep on the water changes? I personally wouldn't worry about cycling such a small tank, it would be difficult to keep correct. I'd think it was either the fish or you got something bad like soap into the system. Unless someone tells me differently, I would think one betta in a 2 gallon would work with just weekly 30-50% water changes in a reasonably filtered tank. That's the advice I've getting and it seems to be working out.

Even if you want to cycle such a small tank, those penn plax little world filters are next to worthless. They do some chemical and biological filtration, but no mechanical, and not enough of the first two to make any real dent. The Azoo Palm Filter or a similar filter is probably your best bet. Loading it up with either one or two pieces of sponge media will take care of biological and mechanical. Using one space for charcoal would take care of chemical as well (normally there probably wouldn't be much h point to that except it would rid your water of that earthy smell).

Also, you didn't mention having a heater or your temp. Temperature flucuations are a scourge for bettas in my opinion. Anything more than a couple of degrees either way is bad for your fish.

Last edited:

kikuchiyo

Shogun
May 9, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
apache: One thing I like to say about bettas is that they're undemanding fish but for a long healthy life they absolutely need warm, steady temperatures. They are very much tropical fish and they quickly succumb to low temps and temperature changes.

It depends on how big you aquarium is, but if it's 2 - 5 gallons, a submerisable 25 watt heater should do the trick. You can find some at Petsmart or Thatfishplace.com for about 10 bucks.

Bettas like a temperature from 74 - 80. I keep my tank about 78. Even the lower end of that is just fine, however, but the temperature has to remain pretty steady, not moving more than a couple of degrees either way.

Keep in mind that if your lighting is using an incandescent bulb that will heat up the aquarium and make it virtually impossible to keep a steady temp.

I know they keep the bettas in those dinky let cups at room temp, but the petstores don't have as many temperature fluctuations as a normal home does. Plus the fish aren't meant to be in that situation at all, let alone an extended period of time. Water is usually a few degrees cooler than the the ambient air, so even if you're at 74 in the house, the water's colder, plus every errant sunbeam or breeze can fool with the temperature.

The fish could have been already in a bad shape (especially if they have been languishing in the store for days - if I wanted to rescue a betta from them I would do it the day they get in new fish), but my betta's from Petco and he's currently wrapped around the heater resting up from a full day of flaring at mirrors and working on his nest. You might want to get your fish from a new place but the heater's a pretty important part of the equation. Even if the fish were weak when you got them, the temperature issue could have finished them off.

Again, if you got something like soap in there it would be nearly impossible to tell and would explain the rapid loss of fish. You might want to thoroughly clean everything in the tank and the tank itself before getting another one.

Last edited:

apache1375

AC Members
May 23, 2004
Wakefield, Massachusetts
Visit site
Thank You for letting me know about the heater. I didn't know about the temperature they need. The tank doesn't have any soap, that I do know.

I do have an incandescant lamp lighting the tank. Would a flourescant lamp be better for the tank? Where could I get one that small? Or should I not even bother lighting it at all?

Thank You for all your help so far. It has been very informative.

kikuchiyo

Shogun
May 9, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
No problem.

You can get a small flourscent bulb for about four bucks at wal-mart. It's doing the trick in my betta's tank and it's small enough to fit where an incandascant would.

Your betta doesn't need the lights, but it would help you see the little guy, but there's no rush on it.

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
im not sure if this will help, but if you could ask when Petco gets their next shipment of fish in, and go to the store that day to get your fish. that way, you know your betta hasnt been stuck in that cup for 6 days before you bring him home.

thats what i usually do. my store gets shipments in on tuesday. i'll be going tomorrow afternoon to see if i can find a blue oranda.

jacblades

klingon word for superior galactic
May 11, 2004
alabama
www.angelfire.com
your betta tank does not need to be cycled. i add a few drops of bottled nitrifying bacteria, but htis is not necessary. (i guess i do it just to be safe).

it might have been the tank-you need to clean it with bleach or highly concentrated salt water. i have had tanks where fish died, that i used again and the next fish died toobecause i didnt clean them well.

i dont recommend petco bettas. (I DONT RECOMMEND PETCO AT ALL!) if you are going to buy a betta-get one from petsmart. they at least keep their bettas in methylene blue and actually change the water!

also make sure after buying your betta, you go straight home and put him in the tank you have already prepared!

your betta does not need a heater (but it would not hurt to have a small 8 watt one). im not sure how cold it is in MA. just dont put the betta near an ac vent or window (my mom killed one of my bettas by putting him in a window during the winter:sad )
i live in alabama and dont use ac so my house is around 82. (i dont even need to put heaters in my breeding tanks!)

everything you ever wanted to know about bettas is here. i can thank faith for teaching me a good deal of what i know about bettas today.bettatalk

some of my bettas :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store