sex of my new bristlenose?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Barbie

Fishaholic
While these might be a bit small to sex reliably yet, the pictures don't lend themselves well to the effort. The easiest way to tell is by looking at their snout. Any growths up the center of their nose mean they are male. Different types of ancistrus have differing levels of bristles for females, but none have them up the center of their face. If you can get more pictures of them from a direct side view without them just looking all dark against a light background, we can probably be of more help. :)

Barbie

terror

AC Members
May 23, 1999
Manila, Philippines
thanks..

Originally posted by Barbie
While these might be a bit small to sex reliably yet, the pictures don't lend themselves well to the effort. The easiest way to tell is by looking at their snout. Any growths up the center of their nose mean they are male. Different types of ancistrus have differing levels of bristles for females, but none have them up the center of their face. If you can get more pictures of them from a direct side view without them just looking all dark against a light background, we can probably be of more help. :)

Barbie

thanks barbie :)
i'll try to take some more pictures later:)

clayt101

Registered Abuser
Yes, they are too small to tell. When they are small, most don't have bristles. If you have many small fish to choose from, look and see if any are starting to develop bristles, as these have a better chance of being males.

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
sorry i dont know the answer to your question either.. but i just wanted to say that they're VERY CUTE!

:p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store