betta acting strange

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
my friends betta has been acting strange, it could be weather but there other ones are not. The fish has been lethargic, not eating, was thinking with the storms out here maybe weather caused the behaviour. I have very little knowledge of betta behaviour could it just be sleeping or stressing due to conditions. They don't test water but do treat it with chlorine treatment, and change water regularly, and the tanks are small so its 30 -50 percent weekly water change.

andytwite

AC Members
Apr 25, 2004
Vermont
Visit site
Temperature

Is the tank heated?

Contrary to popular belief, bettas are best kept at a steady temperature of 78F and therfore really need a heated tank.

If the tank is not heated then you need to check the temperature. If it's below 74F then that could well explain sluggish behavior.

andytwite

AC Members
Apr 25, 2004
Vermont
Visit site
Agreed Littlepuff.....except if the tank is filtered then there really is no need for a 100% water change. It actually only serves to stress the fish. With a filtered tank you can easily do a 50% water change weekly, leaving the betta in the tank and gravel vac'ing at the same time. :D

jacblades

klingon word for superior galactic
May 11, 2004
alabama
www.angelfire.com
put the betta in some bettamax. this solves just about all of my betta problems. hwat is the tank size? is the fish alone or with other species? what kind of filter is it?

i have all of my bettas in 1 gal storage containers. i change the water twice a week and siphon every other day.

you might also try putting in some live food for him (i assume its a him)to chase (i use guppy fry.)

your betta could also just be getting old. if you bought him from the pet store, chances are-it was already about a year old and his time may be coming.

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
the betta is in a 1 gallon tank with a pond snail, no filter water is aeriated the snail is a recent addition to the tank. I haven't tested the water I suggested getting it tested at lfs

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
she got the betta at walmart about a year ago. There were snails added too her other tanks also and the fish are fine I will let her know to do that also though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store