black light effects on fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hans

I will eat your fish.
Oct 24, 2003
Gieboldehausen, DE
www.brianhanley.com
some lady told me it hurts their eyes, anyone know whats up? are there any fish that would light up under a black light? woo woo!

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
theres a LFS that has "blacklight fish" they look like zebra danios but they're not the same thign, i dont know really what they are, but yes, they glow under a blacklight.

Egyptdragon

AC Members
Apr 24, 2004
Silentskream, are you refering to the genetically engineered danios that have been infused with the substance that makes jellyfish glow?

I think they are fascinating, more because they were originally created for some pathogen research as I recall. They are illegal in my state though, you can only obtain them if you are a big shot researcher for a large university...

You shouldn't even need a blacklight for them to show off though.

Oh and Hans, there are a great number of reptiles which will show off their colors better under blacklights because their range of vision includes spectrums that ours does not and only through the blacklight can we see some of these color displays. This may be true for some fish as well, but I can't name any off the top of my head.

QCppg

Carp for brains!
May 4, 2004
Visit site
If the light is safe for your eyes it is probaly safe for the fish's eyes (our eyes are far more sensative than those of a fish). Blacklight emits a very mild form of ultraviolet radiation and, provided you don't go hog-wild on wattage, should be safe.

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
Silentskream, are you refering to the genetically engineered danios that have been infused with the substance that makes jellyfish glow?
i've never heard of that, but you might be correct. they did look an awful lot like my zebra danios, except of course that they were glowing.

i'd like to point out that fish dont have eyelids. so sometimes turning a light on abruptly is not the nicest thing you can do to the little guys.

think of it as you're in a dark room with your eyes open and someone unexpectedly turns on all the lights at the same time *BAM* that just hurts 8(
fortunately for you, you have eyelids. you can close your eyes and try to adjustto the change in light.
fish dont have eyelids, so try to make the change a little gradual, that goes for ANY tank lighting.

i cant imagine that blacklight would be Dangerous, but personally they give me a headache, so they might make the fish somewhat uncomfortable as well. but i dont know if fish get headaches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store