Adding ottos?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
if you get rid of your plecos you could probably add ottos in their place.

plecos are dirtyier than ottos and they also dont distinguish between algea and plants, which means your plants will get beat up, and your algea will still be around. also, your plecos are starting to get big enough that they'll eat meat, and become less efficient at eating plant matter. in addition, they each get about 18 inches, which means they'll need a much bigger aquarium. if you go ahead and start looking for a bigger place for them, then you can be sure they'll have enough room when they need it.

i'm not positive as to how big ottos get, but i know its not as big, and i've heard they're better at eating algea and not plants

Toro Driver

AC Members
May 9, 2003
Minnesota
Visit site
Ottos will get no more than an inch an half. I have six in my fifty five. They like to be in groups and should be acclimated over a long period because they are delicate when first introduced. They eat constantly on your algae and always look full.

scottracy

Got Roy?
Jan 3, 2004
Texas
Visit site
I have considered finding the plecos a bigger place. I might be getting another aquarium in the near future but I'm not sure. This plecos is minus a fin (click link) which I guess has been this way since I got him so I dont want to trade him in. Thanks for the advice!

Scott

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store