Guppy Rapist... and question for the guppy breeders

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lazersniper

AC Members
Mar 9, 2004
WI
Visit site
IME when guppies breed they kinda get parallel to each other and the male gono. kinda swagers towards the females. I have a male however who prefers a different method. He trys to put on his display for females and when they dont want to breed with him... he charges them with his gono. extended. He will literally get in front of them, eye them down, 'erect' his gono. and charge the female. Is this a normal thing??? I have never seen this before and I've had a few batches from other pairs that I have owned but I've never seen this 'method'.

A couple of questions:

1. How soon can I expect babies to become sexually mature? I"ve read 6 weeks and I've read 6 months. I've got a couple of female offspring with great coloring and I'm not sure if they just never completly sexually matured, or if they aren't sexually mature. They are females however, I can see their gravid spots, and they don't have the gonos. They're probably close to 6 months if not a little more.

2. I've read that guppies don't produce as well in bare bottom tanks because they get stressed out from reflections/glares off the bottom. Is this a big factor, or is it most likely just probably somebodies personal exp? I've just set up a bare bottom tank and forgot to put a towel or something underneith to prevent glaring. I don't want to add gravel. So I'm just wondering if anybody has had any bad exp. with bare bottom tanks and guppies/guppies breeding.

QCppg

Carp for brains!
May 4, 2004
Visit site
In response to question 2: I have kept feeder guppies with my newts since we got the first firebelly newt (3-5 years ago). It's always a bare-glass tank floor (as newts are VERY messy) and as long as they weren't being eaten the guppies would breed in that setup.

jacblades

klingon word for superior galactic
May 11, 2004
alabama
www.angelfire.com
mine are in a bare bottom tank and breed constantly. (i feed the babies to my bettas when conditioning them for breeding) i heard something about shining a light on the guppies to reveal the gravid spot in a female that wasnt openly displaying one. im not sure of the details but i know i read that somewhere.

Lazersniper

AC Members
Mar 9, 2004
WI
Visit site
I can't paint the bottom cuz I can't get to it. I dont want to keep transporting the adult male and females cuz I wan't them to breed asap. I would rather not keep stressing them. Hopefully it won't be that big of a problem. If I notice they don't breed as often then I'll do something about it I guess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store