Petsmart Aquaria Reform?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Copper

Nearsighted master of all I survey
May 11, 2004
Arlington, TX
Visit site
I went into Petsmart to pick up some cat supplies and stopped into the fish department. I was well surprised to find that almost all of the tanks had been supplied with gravel and at least one piece of decor. This store has always been good about keeping incompatible species segregated, and I've never found a dead floater, but they have always been bare tanks.

The tanks for feeders are still bare, but the rest now look somewhat presentable. Could this be a trend?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
For most fish, I'd prefer a bare tank in the store. Makes them easier to catch, and the tanks can be kept clean easier. Adding a few pieces of decoration for cover that can be easily removed for capture, and it's ideal, IMO. With substrate, the tanks are more work to keep clean, which usually means they don't get cleaned as often. Tanks that have lots of deco are tough to catch fish from, meaning they get chased around and stressed--not a happy thing.

JMO.

vaheelsfan

AC Members
May 23, 2003
Stuarts Draft, VA
Visit site
This is off subject I guess since it isn't about decor in store tanks, but it is about store tanks. They built a new Walmart near here a few months ago and I was checking out the tanks after it opened. It appeared that all of the tanks were connected to the same filtration system via pipes running to and from the tanks. My question is, on a system like this, if one tank has disease, doesn't that mean that every tank does? All of the locally owned lfs have ugfs in their tanks, and they are just all connected to a large air pump that runs air through pvc pipes. I assume that disease can't spread through these. Is this the case?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yes. This is one of the reasons that many of the larger box stores are not the best source for fish--the diseases can spread so quickly, and treatment is often superficial and not effective.

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
at the petsmart here, they have gravel in just about all of the tanks. except the "feeder" tanks.

as mentioned above, its actually better to not have gravel in the tanks, as far as cleaning goes, the problem is that the gravel also holds the benificial bacteria needed for nitrification. so it could be a dangerous tradeoff, cuz thats a LOT of potential bacteria youd be losing, but you'd also be losing a LOT of gross rotting matter (fishfood, sheded exoskeletons if you have crustaceans, solid fishwaste, etc.)

i imagine if there was a filtration system with enough "nooks and crannys" for enough bacteria to flourish, then the gravel would be redundant, except for the aesthetics of it.

a gravel free tank would certainly be easier to clean, and probably easier to keep disease free as well.

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
Originally posted by Copper
I went into Petsmart to pick up some cat supplies and stopped into the fish department. I was well surprised to find that almost all of the tanks had been supplied with gravel and at least one piece of decor. This store has always been good about keeping incompatible species segregated, and I've never found a dead floater, but they have always been bare tanks.

The tanks for feeders are still bare, but the rest now look somewhat presentable. Could this be a trend?

The petsmart by my place has had well decorated and sheltered tanks forever and they still suck, why would that change anything at your store. They always have the right species separated, but the tanks at petsmart use a central filtration system and they don't quarantine sick fish, meaning once one fish is sick the rest get sick too. Not to mention the hordes of terrible advice they give out when they mostly know zip about fish. IMO Bare tanks are better anyways. With such a large central filtration system there is plenty of places for bacteria to live. Not to mention I believe they run their water through the plant display before returning it to the main tanks. Which is the reason there are always various fry in the planted display.

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
My PetSmart has a little bit of gravel (like a sprinkling!!) in all tanks (except feeders, poor little guys!) and have 1 ornament/decor (like a little "gone fishing" sign or something). I once asked a store employee why they even bother w/ the decor, and they said it's easier to attach a piece of cucumber to it (which I have seen them do on numerous occassions.)

My PetSmart employees aren't the brightest bulbs in the lamp, there are a few good ones, but *knock wood* their stock is relatively healthy (have only had 1 or 2 problems ever). There is one girl who is really good, I like when she's working because we chat and she knows what I'm talking about!

~Tara

Hans

I will eat your fish.
Oct 24, 2003
Gieboldehausen, DE
www.brianhanley.com
there is one huge 30,000 gph filter that runs the main system, it has a fluidized bed about a foot think tube and 6 feet high, it has 10 UV sterilzers, an o2 reactor, a chiller, a ph adjuster and lots of other nifty stuff.

the feeder tanks have their own filter too with a chiller

the plant tank is totaly serparate, fitted with a micron filter to booT!

apache1375

AC Members
May 23, 2004
Wakefield, Massachusetts
Visit site
The Petsmart here by me has a sprinkling of gravel and like one ornament in each tank except feeders. The live plant tank are separate and away from the fish.

The fish tanks are separate systems. I have also been in the store and seen them cleaning the tanks and the gravel on numerous occasions. Never once have I seen a floater.

On the other hand at Petco all I ever see are dirty tanks a, dead fish, crabs, and other aquatic animals. They also net as many fish as they can at a time and then grab them in their hands and throw them back in the tank. I would never buy a fish from Petco.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store