Semi Newbie needs help with fishless cycle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jiffy

AC Members
May 25, 2004
Visit site
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum.

I have been trying to do a fishless cycle on a 10 gallon tank for nearly 3 months now. Yes that is right...3 months. I have gotten advice from 2 other forums, and came across this one today.

Basically, I started by trying to maintain 5 ppm of ammonia. When this wasnt doing anything I changed methods and began adding the same amount daily.

I then got my nitrite spike and nitrites started comming down. Based on various advice I did a 90% water cahnge to get my ammonia back to a reasonable level. my ammonia has never hit 0 ppm in this entire time.

So after I did my water change, my ammonia came down to 4.0 ppm and my nitrites went up from .75 ppm to 1.5 ppm.

I have no idea what has been going on, but I am on the verge of giving up and packing everything away.

I have kept a detailed log of my cycle.
Click here to view my log

What should I do?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Do you have access to established media?

Have you had your test results confirmed by a third party?

Other water parameters--KH, GH, pH? Unlikely to be stable at this point, but knowing your KH is important for fishless cycling.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
Sounds like you got some bad advice along the way...

Part of what happened is that the ammonia concentration went so high that any bacterial was probably inhibited. The second stage bacteria, the nitrite-eaters, in particular seem to be inhibited by high levels of ammonia.

Looking at your data from May 24 on, it looks like things are progressing. You're getting nitrites, which is a very good sign. It can take a while for the nitrite eaters to get going, but if you keep ammonia below 5 ppm you should be OK. Do you know if you're getting any nitrates yet? If you do have nitrates (in excess of what your tap water contains), that would suggest that you have at least some nitrite eaters.

I would add only enough ammonia every day to get the concentration up to 4-5 ppm. You should nitrites continue to climb -- this can take a while -- but then they'll drop fairly suddenly. If you also start testing for nitrates, you'll get a stronger sense of how quickly the nitrite-eaters are growing.

Hang in there, you'll make it!

Jim

jiffy

AC Members
May 25, 2004
Visit site
Well, to me it seems that starting april 10th, when I changed methods from maintaing 5 ppm to adding 5 ppm (or so) daily is when I got my nitrites really took off.

By April 28th nitrites spiked and started dropping from 5.0 ppm to .75 ppm on May 18th.

Then on May 24, I did a 90% water change to get my ammonia back under control. Testing after the water change showed ammonia was brought back down to 4.0 ppm.

On the other hand, nitrites had steadily been dropping since April 28th, but once I did the water change, they started to spike again. This is something I find very confusing.

And also, as my log shows, I had much better luck with the nitrites by adding the same amount daily. So shouldn't I be continuing to add the same amount daily?

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
What we don't know that would probably be pretty important is KH and pH. There is a pretty strong body of evidence that shows fishless cycling to burn thru buffering (KH), which causes pH to drop. As pH drops to 6.0 or so, oxidization of ammonia slows and stops somewhere around 5. If you have soft water (low KH) it's very possible that you depleted KH and retarded the ammonia eaters (thus decreasing the amount of nitrite being produced).

This hypothesis doesn't explain why nitrite dropped staring around May 1, although it may be that the nitrite eaters were less affected by KH/pH conditions and consumed some of the available nitrite, which wasn't replaced because the ammonia eaters were slowing down.

This all hinges on the assumption that KH was depleted and pH dropped, so if you have any data on those from the cycle, that might shed some light on the situation.

Jim

jiffy

AC Members
May 25, 2004
Visit site
I have never tested for kH. I only tested for pH when I first set up the aquarium. I tested it today and it is has a pH of 7.9 This is the same pH as when I started the tank.

I tested for GH today as well. That test came back as 179ppm Which is also the same as when I started the tank.

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Info source?

What directions are you following for this?

The info I've seen says to take the tank to 5ppm at the start, add ammonia daily to keep it at that point. When the first nitrites show up, drop the daily addition to half. Continue like that until done.

So, if you added 3 ml the first day, then the second day the tank measured 4ppm, you'd add 0.6 ml to take it back to 5ppm. A few days later you see 3ppm in the morning, so you add 1.2 ppm to take it back to 5ppm. Then you see nitrites, so cut to half and add 0.6 ml daily from then on.

But, I did a fishy cycle myself.

jiffy

AC Members
May 25, 2004
Visit site
I have found many differnt sources that say different things. Although, I have to say that my "tests" did show that the nitrite cycle seemed to be most influenced by daily additions of ammonia.

I am considering just doing multiple water changes until everything is 0ppm, and then continuing the cycle with fish. I really don't know what else there is to do/try...

Lazersniper

AC Members
Mar 9, 2004
WI
Visit site
The different flucuations of amm. input is probably whats causing the weird read outs, and prolonged cycle. It's like when you add more fish, the bac has to compensate for the new source of amm. You added more then enough a few days and then a little less the next. Every time you add a fish to a tank or remove one, the bac. level changes to compensate for the loss or addition. In essence once the main cycle completes every addition or loss 're-cycles' the tank. It just takes less time and is less of a spike because there are already bac. there. It has to be stable for you to get accurate results in your test.

I prefer doing it with dead shrimp that way amm and rite spikes on it's own and all you have to do is watch and test.

Here's my advice. You don't have to do it this way but it's what I would do (using the adding amm. method).

I would just get rid of the water and start all over from scratch. You shouldn't have to rinse anything as it shouldn't be dirty. I would let it sit for a few of days while running the filter and what ever else you have. Then test everything as you have done. (ph, amm, rite, and rate)

Now depending on what these readings are you will know what to do. I would then add enough amm to get it to 5 ppm. Continue this until nitrites show up. Then as the earlier post suggested cut amm in half. The reason for this is because the bac. that established to take care of amm. has to have something to feed off of.

Once the nitrite kicks in the nitrates should soon follow, as this is a waste product of those bac. Once amm and nitrite are stable at 0 for a couple of days you should be ready for fish. If your nitrates read over 30 ppm at this time you should do a water change, if not, it's not really nessecary. Make sure you get fish in the tank sometime soon after this, or keep adding the amm. to feed the bac. or else the bacteria will start to die off.

Hopefully that made some sense.

jujubee

AC Members
Apr 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
by cutting back on the ammonia dosage won't some of the already established bacteria die since there will not be enough ammonia for all of the bacteria to feed on?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store