55gallon day 2

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
alright, so after getting my fishies into their big home, i'm just basically wanting to checkup on myself and make sure everything is as it should be.

the big black moor has had ich in the past (about 8 months and two tanks ago)

the red cap oranda is still too small to have the "brain" on her head, i'm told that it will come when she's around 3 inches long. i dont know if it has a more proper name, so i'll just call it a brain. this morning it seemed like she got a large peice of food stuck in her mouth. i try to crush them up so there's varying sizes.. but of course they go for the biggest morsels they can find. if she does swallow a big peice, is there a huge danger in it? or will she work it out in time?
i've seen in the stores some orandas that have a "bad spot" on their "brain". i dont know what causes it, but its almost as if something is eating away at that part of their head. it could just be an injury, but i'm curious as to what i might be able to do to prevent it?

the fantail seems to be the most agile of the youngsters, i'm assuming this is because of the way he is built, somewhat more streamlined than the others.

the lionhead is of course the slowest of the three, but he also seems to be the biggest, he's able to eat larger peices of food then the other two, about half the size of the peices the black moor eats. i've never seen a large lionhead, but that makes me wonder if they have something extra that should be done to keep them healthy. they're awkward shape implies that they're not efficient at processing food or at swimming, so perhaps this makes them more suseptible to problems.

Mainly, i'm curious as to any specific diseases, parasites, injuries, or other ailments that might be common among these "breeds" of goldfish.

in addition, i'm looking for a blue oranda, because my lfs has decided not to order any recently. i've heard that there are some websites where you can "mail order" fish. i'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this and if there is a reputable one i should look into.i'velooked at www.**************** but they're currently out of stock of the blue orandas.

if anyone has any knowledge on these matters, or experience, please let me know. thank you!! 8)

jacblades

klingon word for superior galactic
May 11, 2004
alabama
www.angelfire.com
the "brain" is called a wen. i have a 1.75 inch oranda who has had her wen ever since i got her-about a year ago. sometimes your oranda (when it gets the wen) will have little white spots inside in the wen that come and go. when i first saw this on mine-i freaked out! a bunch of people in a goldfish forum told me that this is normal and is a sign of growth.

not too long ago my oranda got a big white spot on her wen (that wasnt normal) but underneath it, was a red spot. i treated it as a bacterial infection (because i assumed it was the same as the red spot disease thing-not sure what its called). i had read that kanacyn treated the red spot thing very well (and it had a while back when another one of my goldfish got it). i recommend you have some kanacyn around.
i hope my experiences can be of some help to you:)

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
thanks so much! i actually think i might have some of that kanacyn stuff.. i'll look for it and if i cant find it i'll pick some up soon.

jacblades

klingon word for superior galactic
May 11, 2004
alabama
www.angelfire.com
i think the only place you can get it is online. i called all the pet stores and they said they werent allowed to carry it but then i called the aquarium store and they said they had one pack left. when i got there, the dude told me he couldnt get it anymore. not sure why...that one pack was an old one from a long time ago (that still actually worked)

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
well i'll try to find something similar. i cant find any here at home.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store