are algae wafers ok for cats?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

becky_e

AC Members
Apr 21, 2004
Minnesota, USA
www.geocities.com
I don't know. I give my cat chlorophyll breath tablets and they're crazy about them. Probably a little bit every now and then would be ok. My cats are obsessed with my goldfish pellets. I can't leave those out, ever!

bortsamson

Resident Cat herder
Aug 6, 2003
Abbotsford, BC. Canada Eh?
Visit site
I would think so, I mean, its just food right.
If you were hungry you could eat it too.
Wouldnt taste great, like at all, but its for fish, fish are animals, as are cats, well, mammels, but nonetheless, Let em try it, they may not be so envious.
My cat was crazy over coffee, untill she had some, lol. That changed in a hurry

Last edited:

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
my cats do the same thing when they can get a hold of the algea wafer bags. i dont know what the deal is but its really kindof cute. i thought about feeding them an algea wafer, just to see what would happen. but then i decided just to stick to catfood instead.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Just curious, is there any similarity in fish food and cat nip? I know cats will go totally psycho for cat nip.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Cat nip is a plant based product... some is herbal. Its mostly what your cats find while they are outdoors and they chew on it. It also is laced with a scent stronger than most outdoor "nip". So in a way, its not really natural even if they claim "its just like what you cat gets outdoors to aid in digestion"... blah blah blah :p

Excuse my ramblings, anyway, no fish food isn't like cat nip. But it does seem to have the same effects on cats doesn't it. :D

kikuchiyo

Shogun
May 9, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
All carnivores need some vegtable matter. In the wild they'd get the amount they'd need from their prey, but dogs and cats do eat plant material to keep themselves healthy, given the chance.

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
Our resident mouse helped itself to a largish portion just last week with seemingly no ill effects.

…yet. :mad2

vaheelsfan

AC Members
May 23, 2003
Stuarts Draft, VA
Visit site
My cat always used to try to eat my algae wafers too. We gave her cat treats, and I guess the bag looked the same and sounded the same to her. She kept getting the bag and carrying it around, trying to get me to feed them to her. So finally I did, and she stopped wanting them soon after.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store