Sick Fish here...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BigMike

AC Members
Feb 17, 2004
Denver, Co
Visit site
Can anyone I.D. this illness for me?
Got a dwarf gourami with what appear to be ulcers on each
gill cover, one larger than the other, and pinkish in color.
(like when you scrape a knee or something, only more ragged.)
And his upper lip, for lack of a better term, looks like that disease the elephant man had. (mis-shaped and maybe fungal)
It hasn't been this way for long, and only took 3-4 days to get real noticeable. (I was gone over the weekend, and it got real pronounced.)
Still eating good, but hanging out in a dark rock cave most of the time.
Checked the water, all looks fine. no ammonia, no nitrites, nitrates are almost 0, no major ph changes recently.
Any guesses?
All help appreciated

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
How long have you had the fish? Regretfully, dwarf gouramies are not bred, raised, or shipped in ideal conditions, and often arrive with a variety of ailments. This sounds like a common bacterial one--you'll need a broad spectrum antibiotic, and I'd treat in a hospital tank to prevent damaging your main tanks biological filtration. It's seldom contagious, but other anabatoids can get it (other gouramies, bettas, and paradise fish, particularly). Not sure about the tumor--could be another complication from the poor source.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Then I would pull just him and setup a hospital tank. Include a bit of cover for him to hide in, and treat for 5 days--daily water changes, keep the hospital tank a degree or two warmer than the main tank. I think Maracyn2 is a gram -/+ antibiotic, or Kanacyn.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store