Shy or dying?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amber

AC Members
Jan 2, 2003
Texas
Visit site
First of all, I'm brand new at raising Oscars. Three weeks ago, I bought one oscar (about one and a half inches). He would lay at the bottom of the tank in the far corner. A couple of days later, I bought another one (also about one and a half inches). The new one was very energetic, and swim around the tank like there was no tomorrow. Then the first one died. After I took him out, my second then took over that corner the first one used to lay in. He, too, stared laying in that corner at the bottom when previously he would swim around very happily! Two weeks past, and last night I bought another one (about two and a half inches). As soon as I put the new Oscar in, the old one swam to him and followed him around like an annoying sibling. The new one could barely turn around without the other one right there. He was by no means fighting or even trying to frighten the other one. It was almost as if he were excited to have another. After a while, he went back into his corner, and every once in a while, he'll come out. What could be the matter with him? Why does he stay in that corner? I thought he was lonely, but he still retreats to that one corner. Even though he does come out sometimes, which itself is an improvement. Any thoughts as to what's wrong with him?

Amber

AC Members
Jan 2, 2003
Texas
Visit site
Right now they are in a 10 gallon tank. I KNOW I KNOW....before you say anything, I'm getting a bigger one for them this weekend. Probably a 55 or bigger. Anyway, I have two filters...one carbon and the other is an undergravel one, temp is about 76, and when the water was tested, everything came back fine. I went to a fish store to get the water tested. He eats, but other then that, he just chills in that one corner.

heat

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Houghton Lake, Michigan
More questions for you... how long has this tank been set up? Just the three weeks? Have you tested the water recently since the purchase of your last oscar?
Specifically I'd like to know where your ammonia reading is....

Kit Walker

AC Members
Jun 9, 2002
Australia
Visit site
Welcome to the world of oscars. I'd rate them as one of the moodiest fish I ever had (and no longer keep). One false move or change, and plop they sink like a lead weight and mope around the bottom. Once you build up a relationship (sort of dog and master relationship) you'll find that their sulking will ease off. Eventually they will even take food from your hand.

Obviously, your 55G will not be cycled and you'll be cycling them with the oscars in. Not the best option, but oscars are almost always tough enough to survive a cycle. you MUST change the water very often (as much as daily) in order to keep ammonia safe. If you don't then they will suffer health problems (such as ammonia causing cloudy eyes). I'd recommend you purchase an ammonia test kit to monitor levels.

Amber

AC Members
Jan 2, 2003
Texas
Visit site
Not sure of the exact reading of the amm., They used those sitck testers, do you suggest I buy a Chem. one? I've done tons of reading on them now. My tank has been set up for three weeks. I didn't know about the cycling process untill after my first one died. So, hopefull the cycle is almost complete. I have a vacum, and I vacume the gravel till the water is about 50% gone. Then I treat some new water and pour the new water back in. I'm doing a 50% change since I'm treating them for ich. After that I'll do a 30% change. I have a heater, it's set for about 78. My newest one is VERY active. He's a lot bigger, though. The one that normally sits at the bottom was still in the same corner yesterday, but floating in the middle instead of on the gravel. Maybe it was the ich?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store