Question about Parrot Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Morel

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
My parrot Fish is laying eggs at an alarming rate (twice within a 2 weeks! =p)

And I was wondering what other fish can breed with her? I know parrot fish males are sterile. So What are my choices?

I think I read that they can be bred with Convicts. But I wanna make sure before I go out and get one..

Thanks for advice..

G'day!

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
Blood parrots are hybrids,unlikely for it to be fertile,they can't cross bred again,Convicts comes from a different genus,the parrot fish is in another genus.But there is always a one in a million chance for the parrots to breed and have fry,i think.

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
Some interesting correspondence here - seems that parrot cichlids are not all created equal - this might account for the "yes they can! no they can't!" breeding arguments.

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
Who cares if it can breed!?!?

Should it breed!?!?!

No

Please don't breed this fish. Find a real cichlid to breed if you are intrested. This hobby does not need more hybrids than it already has. I am happy you want to breed cichlids, the bug has hit ya :)
but not this fish!

:mad:
ttl

Morel

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Ooooookay..

If you don't suggest I breed this one.

Which convicts would be really interesting to watch? (Not to mention I have a local pet food store, a really good one in fact that says they'll give me credit for any I bring it.. =p)

=p

BTW my water parms are :

7.6 Ph.

Really clean it seems.. =p

Last edited:

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
Firemouths~

I think convicts are alittle too easy to breed. If you like the smaller size, 5-6" I would go with some firemouths. They are easy to come by, although alittle harder to find females. Firemouths don't need huge tanks and even the fry are colorful.

Trade that BP in! hahah
:D
GL!
ttl

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
Against hybrids?

Why do some people hate hybrids SO much,the poor things deserve a home and to breed.They are hybrids but still are fishes.

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
WRONG

Originally posted by Serrateeth_2002
Why do some people hate hybrids SO much
I personally hate hybrids for a variety of reasons. Here we go... Tank space in fish stores is a fixed factor. If one store has 100 tanks one day, the next day they will probaly have the same number. The more popular hybrids get, the less room there will be for real cichlids or any fish for that matter. I see more and more flowerhorns, bloodparrots and "mixed african" everywhere I go and it is becoming harder to find cichlids that deserve the tank space. (Its almost impossible to find a real orange chromide).

Hybrids pose no significant breeding challenge to a real cichlid keeper. They tend to mate with anything and everything... I mean thats how they came to be. Either an irresponsible owner who had two fish breed and distributed the fry, or someone trying to make a quick buck breeding for the purple of a trimac and for the reds of a devil with the spangles of a texas. These poor things had their origins from ignorance.

There a so many hundred of species of cichlids one could keep, why create more? What biotape shall we keep a fish that does not live anywhere but in captivity in?

Originally posted by Serrateeth_2002
the poor things deserve a home and to breed.
I really hope you don't believe that. Unfortunatly I feel a lot of people have this attitude with animals. If people would just get their dogs and cats fixed, the populations would become under control and thousands would not have to be put to sleep.
Do those cats and dogs deserve a nice home? Yes, but nothing deserves to breed. :rolleyes:

However, by you purchasing hybrid fish because you feel sorry for them (I am going to assume that is your stance because of the "poor things" statement), you are telling the store and the market that these fish will sell, causing them to raise the quantity supplied meeting your demand while jacking the price up.

Please don't think that by you as one person buying a hybrid will not affect the hobby. That is similar to "the tragity of the commons." What you do or think most likely is what the rest of the uninformed mob will also do.

Say no to hybrids, why waste your tank space?

ttl

Oh by the way, I am still waiting any argument for hybrids other then they are 'pretty'.

H8Parrotfish 13

I kill Parrotfish for your own good
Look at my username!!!

Basically, I preordered Parrot Cichlids at the LFS and when they were shipped in they were those Stupid Blood Parrots no the Parrot Cichlid so I not only had to get those fish but were stuck with them for a while.

I also paid thirty seven dollars for the trio!!!

Co/\/vict

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Columbia, TN
This issue has been overly argued over and I think it would be best for people to stop telling other people what to spend their hard earned money on. For the author of this post.... if you like the blood parrot than stick with the blood parrot. Breed if at all possible. Your choice, not TTL's. Enjoy!

Co/\/vict

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store