Strange little creatures in my 5g

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kvr

AC Members
Apr 17, 2001
Ghent, Belgium
allserv.UGent.be
I have this small (5g) growout tank that I keep ready in case I'd need it. It's planted with some java fern and vesicularia dubyana. Temperature is around 75 and the 15W light is on for about 10 hours.

I added a Eichhornia crassipes (''Water hyacinth'') that I had outside (cause it wouldn't survive the winter otherwise). i didn't rinse the plant or anything and added it to the tank.

Immediately, a lot of small creatures came crowling out of the roots of this plant, and I have no idea of what they are.
The one in the picture looks like it, but I'm not sure if it is exactly the same :

I had three guppy fry in there, and after two days, they died (can't find them anywhere). Can these creatures have brought a disease in my tank, or would they eat little fry ?

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
It is the common water louse - Asellus. Fish eat them. Totally harmless - they would not have touched the guppy fry. They live on detritus, so technically they'd actually make good scavangers.

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
Originally posted by kvr

Sea ? As in marine animals :confused:
Sea roaches are marine relatives of water louses.i think,guppy fry were probably eaten by their own parents.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store