help me with my male dwarf gourami!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stunt 101

1 fish, 2 fish, red fish, blue fish
Feb 18, 2004
Northern VA
Visit site
i dont have a camera on hand but i will try to explain this as best as possible.
my male dwarf gourami has a reddish fleshy ballon growing on his upper lip. it has been steadily growing for 2 weeks and it looks like today has actually scraped/tore off most of it off on something in my tank. i got my water tested yesterday at the lfs and i was told i have high ammonia. so today i did a 25 percent water change and hope that helps the water quality. the tank has been cycled so i dont know where the ammonia reading came from, ( i also have no nitrites, and 20 ppm of nitrates.) i dont know if the tank is cycling again or what but i think dwarf gouramis are picky about water quality. also the guy at the lfs said it might be a tumor? weird. i was guessing a parasite but i have no clue. i also added some stress zyme for the slime coat and melafix for diseases. i dont have a hospital tank so i have to treat the whole tank with the stuff. please help asap.
thank you very much in advance.

travelinman1969

AC Members
Oct 23, 2003
Lost Nation, IA
Visit site
If you don't have nitrites and you do have nitrates I have a hard time buying that your tank has that much ammonia. Time for a second opinion. I take it this is the 29 gallon. Any other signs from the others? Any fighting? Sounds like it could be cottonmouth but hard to tell without a pic. Any whiteish puffing around the sore? Otherwise sounds like he hit something hard. The melafix will take care of that but it could be something more serious.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store