Help please! My first sick fish! What do I do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Herndo

AC Members
Apr 2, 2004
Visit site
Ok, my Harlequin Tusk is about a week old. I got him from the LFS, he is extremely peaceful, leaving all of my fish and snails and crabs alone. He was eating great at the LFS and also at my house even minutes after finally making it into my tank.

I noticed a few spots on the semi-transparent part of his dorsal fins and tail when I got him, and figured they were from the move. Those went away and his color was bright and perfect. He continued to eat very very well. He was also very active.

Last night when I came home around 8:00 pm EST, I noticed he was laying on the bottom of the tank against a piece of rock. Shocked I ran over to the tank and noticed he was breathing. I put a small amount of food in the tank and he swam up and ate some. I felt a little bit better, but I noticed he had what appeared to be a white dusty looking substance all over him. I immediately thought ich.

I frantically called around to LFS' and found petsmart was still open. I luckily found a knowledgeable employee and he told me it was most likely ich and even though they were closing in a few minutes, he offered to purchase the "Mardel Coppersafe" and keep it at the front door for me until I arrived. (That was very cool of him!)

I also performed a water change. (it was the only thing I could think of to do.) I tested my water before the water change and both ammonia and nitrites were at 0 and nitrates were very very low as well. They were close to 0. My PH was also great. My salinity was on the money as well.

He made it through the night, at 5:00 am he was still in the same place, and at 8:00 am he had moved to the left side of the tank but still laying crooked on the bottom but still breathing.

I left the lights out today and I am dessperately looking for any advice on what I should do, should not do, or even what I should have done if the horrible should happen and I lose this fish. He is the only reason I got into the saltwater hobby, he's just so incredibly beautiful.

I did make sure that the fish was eating at the LFS, and I had him on hold for almost 2 weeks, and constanly checked on him to look for signs of illness before I purchased him. I even had the LFS check my water before I took him home, and all things checked out fine. The LFS, told me not to do a water change for at least a week, so the fish could get used to the water first, and the emergency water change last night was the first water change.:sad

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Since there was no ammonia.nitrites, your water is unlikely to be a problem. 'Dusty' makes me think more of marine velvet than ich--but the medication for ich should also work on velvet. Keep monitoring the water conditions, do regular water changes (replace meds if needed), and keep feeding a good balanced diet. Good conditions help more than anything else.

Do read carefully on the coppersafe to make sure it is safe with inverts--products that contain copper are not invert safe.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Congratulations, your LFS has given you ich. It's one reason why quarantine is so important, because the main tank is now innoculated with it. A fish with a nearly invisible case can get very sick when stressed by moving.

It will respond to copper, but in a display, things will be difficult. The rock and substrate will soak up the copper, making it hard to keep a constant dose. Plus, it will really wipe out a lot of the life if you have live rock.

I haven't dealt with it much myself, but some say a minor case can be controlled by garlic and good care. A case like this will probably need copper or RxP for a few weeks to clear up.

Watch your other fish, it is contagious.

knowthemath

AC Members
Feb 16, 2004
Virginia
Visit site
I agree with OrionGirl. It doesn't sound like ich to me. Every case I've seen is more like little crystals, not a dusty coating.

"The common name "marine velvet" comes from heavy infestations of the skin which may have a dusty appearance. "

You can read the complete article http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/amyloodinium.html

Everything I've read says copper treatments. Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store