Mouth injury on danio?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

moboe

AC Members
Feb 17, 2004
Alexandria, VA
Visit site
Greetings,

One of my zebra danios, in the tank since Feb., today is hiding, lethargic, and his mouth looks like it was bitten off and is red. Rather, there is a red wound like area right at his mouth.

Research has suggested red mouth disease, but it is only one spot that looks red (bloody) not the entire mouth area. I'm suspecting an injury. In the tank with him is another zebra, 2 long finned leopard danios, a swordtail, and an otto. It's a 20g tank, set up in Feb. 2004.

Should I put him in a hospital tank? Any medications? Salt? I'd like to help him if I can. I can't imagine what happened to him. None of the fish are agressive, save for the danios chasing eachother now and then.

Thanks.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Does this sound familiar at all? It's a shot.

http://www.aquamaniacs.net/flex.html

I would probably take him out of the tank and put him in a hospital tank if you've got one. I'dd also treat with Maracyn Plus or some other broad spectrum antibiotic and see if things improve.

Perhaps he swam into something or has some sort of disease that is irritating/eating the flesh...because, like you said, your tank isn't exactly full of tiger barbs or something!

Good luck and let us know how it goes:)

moboe

AC Members
Feb 17, 2004
Alexandria, VA
Visit site
Thanks, Leopardess. I thought of cotton mouth, but because of the red area, didn't think that was it. Apparently, cotton mouth does have red areas, so I'll try to treat for that.

They suggest that a sudden raise in temperature can cause this, and to keep the hospital tank about about 76F. Since Spring/Summer has arrived here in VA, my tank has been at about 80F. The room isn't 80, but about 72-74. How do I lower the temperature of the tank? I do have a HOB filter pouring a lot of water in the tank, and an air stone for aeration. I also have 3 large live plants, and 3 small live plants.

I'm having the same trouble keeping the temperature down on my other tank, a 6g Eclipse with a betta and a panda cory. That tank is 80 or higher. The room isn't that hot. Is there some sort of tank air conditioner???

Thanks a lot for your help.

Margaret

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Watch to see when the temp rises--likely, lighting is a factor. Creating air movement over the water, while increasing evaporation, will also cool the tank. You'll have to top off for the evaporation, ideally increasing the frequency of water changes to keep up as well.

cgrabe

AC Members
Jun 1, 2004
Virginia, USA
Visit site
Originally posted by moboe
Is there some sort of tank air conditioner???
Yes, there are aquarium chiller/coolers, but the ones I've seen start around $350 and go way up from there. Here are some DIY plans if you want to build your own.

You might be able to build one cheaper (and quieter) using a peltier device, a couple PC heat sinks, a PC fan, and some sort of thermal switch. *shrug*

moboe

AC Members
Feb 17, 2004
Alexandria, VA
Visit site
Thanks to all for your help. Just as I was pulling out my hospital tank, the danio died. He was fine yesterday, so I fear this was an injury, rather than an illness. At least, if this is the case, the other fish in the tank should be ok.

I'm sad to have lost him, as he was one of my original cycling fish, and had been with me since Feb. I've had a lot of trouble keeping fish alive in this tank...seems much harder than years ago when I had fish before. I've lost 5 swordtails, 4 otos, 2 Mickey Mouse platies, and now 1 danio. My ultimate stocking goal was, and still is:
4 danios
3 otos
2 platys
2 swordtails
2 dwarf gourami

Now, with only 5 fish left, I'm going backward. I might have to rethink my stocking plans and lean toward all danios, or something else that is REALLY hardy.

Anyway, thanks for all the help and support. It helps so much to have understanding, knowledgable people on the other end to help with this wonderful hobby!

Margaret

RobUK

AC Members
Apr 16, 2004
Hi about one of those things you put round wine, They stay fairly cold for hours and would probally work like one of those cooler things without the hassle or expense.

Keep one cool in the fridge while ones in the tank. You could probally get say 8hrs cooling out of one and then just swap them over.

strange idea I know but you never know???:D

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Awww, I'm sorry he died:(

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about the temperature yet. During the summer months my 10g's are all about 82-83 and everyone is fine, plants included.

Just out of curiousity, what are your water parameters?

moboe

AC Members
Feb 17, 2004
Alexandria, VA
Visit site
Hi Leopardess,

After I removed him from the tank, I tested the water.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate about 10-20
I didn't test my ph, but it is usually about 7.5

I have live plants, and so never trust my nitrate count. But, I just did a 30% water change last Friday, and have been doing 30% water changes weekly since I started the tank in Feb., except for the change last Friday which was 2 weeks after the previous one, because I was away.

Does this tell you anything about why I'm having trouble?

Thanks for your help and interest.

Margaret

sdb

AC Members
May 4, 2004
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
If my temps go up due to hot weather, I put regular fans in the room, one in front of each tank, and let them blow. It keeps the temp down somewhat, and I just turn the fan down when I've gotten the temp down to where I want it, or close to it. At least it keeps the temp from going dangerously high. I don't know if this is the best idea, but I sure couldn't afford a cooler, so I worked with what I had.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store