blue tang question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

harrypotter41

AC Members
Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
Hi all again,
We're starting up a fish only 110 gallon. I'm "trying" (operative word trying) to do this tank for my wife pretty much. Soooo, she has to have a few of the fish from Finding Nemo. I know, I know, it's silly, but I told her I'd bounce it off you guys/gals. This resource here is invaluable. I'm looking at starting with a pair of percula clowns and 2-3 tiny or small blue tangs thereafter at some point. I've read contradicting statements about blue tangs being together. These will be the highlight of the tank, with everything else being a wrasse and goby here and there if even that. Keeping it simple. Any words of caution or optimism prior to this endeavor?

thanks as always,
casey

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
im not 100%sure, but i think most people would say no more than 2 tangs in a 110 gallon tank, some might say one but i think 2 would be ok IMO. i do kow that if you are going to get a blue tang, cleaner shrimp are a must. mine looked awful untill i got 2 skunk cleaners. the get ich very easy. mine didnt have any problems with the clown when i had it with them. i rarely got to see my blue tang, he was always hiding under rock, playing dead, and would only move about if there was no one in the room. then i got a yellow tang just a little smaller than the blue, from that point on they have roamed the tank as a pair. you have to have some sort of cover for the tangs to hide in also, without any cover they will be constantly stressed and nothing but a big ich magnet. i know live rock is exspensive, but i would invest in it. the more live rock i added to my tank the more my fish would swim freely. kinda like they knew that they could hide at any given secound instead of having to swim for a spot to hide. my blue tang has a habbit now of harrasing my hermit crabs. when hes out swimming he will find a hermit on the rocks and rubb aginst them untill they fall. its kinda weird to watch, at first i thought he was getting a case of marine velvet again. i think he just likes to cause a little ruckus in the crab world.

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
One tang.
Tangs are notorious for fighting when kept in even numbered groups- and you haven't room for three.

The 110 is a 48" tank, right?
So one adult blue tang would be pushing it. You know how large they get, right?

harrypotter41

AC Members
Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
thanks guys, I guess I'll be getting 1. I just want the "tiny" size that's indicated from liveaquaria.com. The susceptibility to ich does worry me though. That may end up being a detourant I believe.

benjen

AC Members
Apr 26, 2004
Minnesota (USA)
Visit site
The problem, harrypotter41, is that the tiny fish most emphatically don't stay tiny. That just means that they are babies. ;) If you look at the maximum size listed on liveaquaria, that is the full grown size, give or take a bit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store