Catfish not eating HELP

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zelda000

AC Members
Jan 2, 2003
Visit site
hey i have a 45g tanks with a 6 inch bass, and a 6 inch snakehead, also a few crayfish, and of course my channel catsfish wich is about 5 inches, this is one of my tanks, it kinda my tribute to my local fishing hobby, i would like to eventuall have on of every species that swim in the waters where i live. Any way my catfish has for a while now been neglectiing to eat, i feed him shrimp pellets, but they jsut sit there at the bottom of the tank intouched, now this is the second catfish that has been in my tank and both do not eat, the catfish that is in there now been at my friends and ate more pellets than you could imagine, so it has to be my tank, all ph and amonia levels are good, my guess bieng in the presence of the bass and snakehead which are both bigger than it by a little has somthing to do with it. in my friends tanks it was the biggest fish in the tank, soo anybody agree with me if the bass and snakehead is the reason or maybe there somthine else, suggestion would be aprreciated

Stephen

There's always a bigger fish...
Nov 28, 2002
Virginia
Is there any other tests you could do? Like a hardness or Ni test? Is the catfish being fed the same thing as your friend fed it? What's the temp in the tank, does the catfish have a hiding place, what kind of filtration do you have, have you recently added any chemicals to the tank? I know a good deal about channel cats and hopefully can help with a little more info. I don't want to scare you, but channel cats will eat about anything you put in the tank. Try offering him something new, and let us know as much as you can about the fish, tankmates, and water conditions.

In nature there's no bass in the it's right mind that would pass up a catfish tidbit. However the size of your 2 fish isn't a huge difference. I don't think the one inch difference is enough to make the cat feel uncomfortable. Channel cats are pretty agressive and bossy. In all my experience with them it was simple. When they were active. They were in charge of the tank and it's inhabitants. They do like a place to hide and get outta the light. Some place dark and large enough to the fish to get inside and turn around in should be included.

Tell me everything you can about the tank, it's inhabitants and what or if anything happened before the fish stopped eating.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store