Small Channel Catfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BigBadCatfish

Registered Member
Jan 2, 2003
newtown square pa
www.expage.com
I have a small channel catfish I recently purchased from a local petshop and it is currently about 3 or 4 inches. I hear that they get really big and i feed it shrimp pellets and cut up fish and it eats that. Does ne1 no how big they can gte if kept in a 50 g tank. Does ne1 have ne tips for gettin it huge fast??? thanks in advance and ne1 with any catfish tips talk to me my aim is mherm50

Fishiebusiness

Fish Newbie
Oct 8, 2001
Berkeley, CA
www.picturetrail.com
Whoa, channel cats should not be kept in a 50. You'll need at least an a pond to reasonably keep a channel cat. Don't count on stunting to keep them small. If you do, you wouldnt be a very responsible fish keeper.

kzuk72

AC Members
Dec 29, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Visit site
He'll outgrow the tank. How fast, I can't say. The local record for Channel Catfish is 46.5". I believe the world record is closer to 60" (Five feet). Even if you stunt the growth by 50%, you're still looking at a two-foot or larger fish. Let alone overall health and quality of life for the fish itself, the poor guy.

They've got a reputation for eating just about anything. I've heard of (and seen) people catching them using old Coke cans as bait. Though they do prefer meaty foods (frozen shrimp is supposedly excellent), earthworms, etc.

I personally wouldn't even consider keeping one, unless I had 500G+ handy.

Stephen

There's always a bigger fish...
Nov 28, 2002
Virginia
They grow very fast and I'd say within 6 months or so this thing is going to out-grow your tank. The ones I've kept loved those tetra min tablets. Actually the ravaged anything put in the tank food wise. Keep in mind that a channel cat is a predator. And it will eat anything tasty and small enough to fit in it's mouth. So choose your tankmates wisely. Another important note is that it needs a good filtration system. The fish is messy as well as a messy eater. The ones I've kept also like to re-arrange the tank sometimes. Another VERY important note is that they need some place dark to hide and rest. Something that is big enough for them to get in and out of as well as turn around while they are in it. I hope I've answered all of your questions but if not or you have some more just let me know.

Stephen

There's always a bigger fish...
Nov 28, 2002
Virginia
I use AOL to connect to the internet but I absolutely hate it beyond that. Also soon will be going back to my local ISP. I do use yahoo messenger. Actually I'm on it every single time I'm online. If you or anyone else would like to add me my screen name is "stephen_in_va". Without the quotes mind you. :)

Weasel6

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
St. Matthews,SC
Visit site
I bought one as a mere pup and he grew pretty quick. He ate 2 gold barbs whole in a matter of minutes! Just gone. I fish here in Catfish country where several world record catfish were caught on Santee-Cooper / Lake Marion resvoir including a current one. I still didn't know he would get big THAT FAST. He'll grow quicker than you think. I had to decide whether to trade him in or fatten him up and cook him later. Catfish nuggets are heavenly. But I wouldn't cook my dog so I ain't gonna fry my fish. He went back.
If ya' keep him then watch him. Make sure he doesn't eat anything live, as in tankmates. It won't take long to outgrow your 55.

friend of oscar

AC Members
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
I have one in an outdoor pond. It is a little over a foot long. It eats shrip pellets,flakes,pellets,worms,nightcrawlers,dead bugs,dead fish, and tadpoles. If you think watching an oscar chase and eat goldfish is fun, just feed a channel cat some tadpoles. Now that is a hoot!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store