What are the details on hairy crabs and why you don't want them?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nickeleye

AC Members
Apr 13, 2004
Visit site
The title pretty much sums up what I'd like to know. I believe I have been losing some of my cleanup crew so far due to some sort of murderous activity in the tank. I thought I might have a mantis because of the excessive popping sounds I hear coming from the tank, but I'm thinking that's most likely the pistol shrimp h.h. that came on my rock, but since I really don't have any other real predatory animals in the tank I'm thinking maybe the hairy crabs are the problem.

What's the deal with these things? How capable are these things of doing some serious damage to snails and hermits I have in the tank?

I've been trying to snag them as often as I see them. I've pulled out quite a few over the last few days that are probably about the size of a nickel.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Most the hairy crabs problems I've heard about relate to corals and snails. Some will eat polyps off corals, while others will crunch away at snails.

The worst hitch hiking crab I've seen was in the coral tank at my LFS--not hairy, but a truly evil looking shiny black crab, about 5 inches across, huge claws. Never touched a coral, but eliminated all crabs, shrimp, stars, and snails in with him.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Main problem I had was a large hairy crab removing the legs from my serpent star. I mostly worry about them eating the detritivores, like worms and microstars.

Nickeleye

AC Members
Apr 13, 2004
Visit site
For some reason I woke up in the middle of the night and so I decided since I was up I'd look in the tank. I noticed one of my brittle stars was about half out from under one of the rocks and I noticed that a few of its legs were much longer and thicker than one (or maybe two) of the other legs. I'm thinking something got a hold of one of the legs and so it's been slowly regenerating, but I can't prove that.

I think I need to devise a trap for the crabs. Maybe use the bottle method, which I can't seem to find any info. on....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store