How do I split an anemone!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fantoot

Registered Member
Jan 30, 2004
Foster City, CA
Visit site
I have a green carpet anemone. It located itself close to the front glass tucked under a rock. When it blooms its back faces the front glass which is not nice. I wanted it to force it to change the location by moving the rock. I thought it was stuck on the bottom glass only but apparently it has a leg stuck on the rock too. I ripped it apart when I started moving the rock. It wasn't a complete split; the two pieces are still linked by small pieces at each side. I thought I will loose it but amazingly it is still alive.

Is it going to die or will it survive? Will it continue to split? Should I finish separating the two pieces hoping to have two anemones or shall I leave it do that by itself?
Thanks

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yikes! How much is in each side? Anenomes aren't one of the animals that is commonly fragged--they split by themselves best. In this case, I would leave it alone, and give it the best water quality you can. If it can recover, this will be it's best bet, IMO.

For future refence--moving an anenome isn't a great idea. They will find a place that they like and meets their needs, and it's best to leave them there. Damaging the stump can kill them, and even if they aren't damaged, they seldom will stay where you want them to.

Gealcath

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
If the Anemone survives, even if you managed to move it out of that location, it will go back to that spot and you will be facing the same thing you tried to correct. Remember the Anenome knows what it likes best :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store