Hagen Fluval or Ehiem ECCO?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hagen Fluval or Ehiem ECCO?

• Fluval

Votes: 25 56.8%
  • ECCO

Votes: 19 43.2%

• Total voters

vato

AC Members
Apr 17, 2001
British Columbia, Canada
I'd say the Ehiem range is generally of better quality than the Fluval. they have been around much longer and are German Engeineered, they are the best. But, if price is a consideration, the Fluvals are a VERY good alternative, They are also one of the very best on the market, and Hagen (fluval's Manufacturer if you weren't aware)has made a lot of innovations in the field of cnister filters. They are, in my opinon, in the same class as the ehiem in terms of overall quality. Nothing can touch an Ehiem, but Fuval comes pretty darn close. What I'm really trying to say is it's really up to you. Ehiems are the best, but fluvals are proably your best "bang for the buck"

As a side note, the Rena (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals brand) filstar, are also great filters.

StreetCypher

AC Members
Apr 18, 2004
vancity, BC
Visit site
I just purchased a Rena Filstar XP2 and am very happy with it.
Keeps my tank very very clean, and its extremely simple to set up and maintain. You can also add your own media to extra compartments. Its also cheap. But, not completely silent... and sometimes on certain flow settings it makes a whistling sound (spray hose attachment only).

RobUK

AC Members
Apr 16, 2004
I have a fluval 204 on a 35g and I am really happy with it.

Couple of gripes....
The hosing you get is a bit short if you think you'll need more than about 2.5meters for both in and out then budget for that.
Also you dont get a spray bar (which is a bit tight considering they cost about $6)

Otherwise you get a really good selection of media (ceramic rings, carbon & heavy foam) which you dont get with Eheims

+ fluvals are a little cheaper :D (which always helps)

Having never had an ehiem I can only have a prospective of fluval but my experience of them has been fine :)

hope that helps

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
I've tried both filters... as of right now, I have 2 Fluval 404s running, and my Ecco is in the basement collecting dust.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Eheim 2026, but the Ecco IMHO is a waste of plastic. During the entire lifespan of that filter, it was constantly noisy... and I did everything to try to fix it. While preforming a routine filter cleaning, a piece of the filter snapped off when I proceeded to close the filter. Of course, since the filter wouldn't properly seal anymore, it was useless. I should have spent that money on a fluval or a rena (of course, hindsight is always 20/20). Eheim filters are great, but their Ecco line is not even worth a look.

The one fluval I have on my 66 gallon has been in continuous use for about 2.5 years, the one on my 70 gallon has been in use for about 1.5 years.

Try looking into the Rena Filstar xP canister line... I believe they are only a few more dollars more expensive than the Fluvals, but from what I hear, they are solidly built, and work quite well.

HTH
-Richer

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
I mimic travelinman1969. I have a Fluval 204 and love it, but would get an Eheim if I could afford it. Fluval is the poor man's version of Eheim.

Watcher

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Look into the Classic Eheims

for durability and value, check out the Classic Eheim filters. You can get decent prices on them, with media.

I have Pro, Pro2, Pro2thermofilter, ECCO (bigger and smaller), Classic 2213, and fluval 303. The Pros are nice, I don't really need the prime feature and yet the Classic seems the easiet of all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store