What fish with Angels, and 2.3 gal betta setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Allison Reed

Sushi Lovin' Aquarist
Dec 3, 2002
Vancouver, wa
Visit site
I'm currently in the process of setting up my 150 gallon aquarium acrylic with canister filter for my mother, who knows NOTHING about fish. I'm positive she wants a bunch of Angels, and I'd just like some spare info. I've gotten conflicting views with "What are the best fish to place with angels", and I'd like to hear a few more opinions. It's a 150, so lots of space...and how many angels SHOULD I get? A range would be nice..I'd like to make a community tank. Btw, my mom just wants fish that "Will school, and are pretty." I'm wanting to place my trio of 3" balas in there, or at least one of them, and the other in my other 100 ( not with the arowana x.x )

Okay, and I have a 2.3 gallon aquarium sitting on the lower level shelf of my 100 gallons stand. I'd like to put my female betta in there..she's really small. I'm not planning on getting substrate, as I'm also going to use it as a breeding tank, cuz I have a breeder net in my 10 with the male she is in now.
I got a 50 watt heater for it, but Then I realize "50watts is ALOT for 2.3 gallons." That and in my area there are no 25 watt heaters. EVER. And I check alot.
hh...Is 50 watts really tOO much? The label said 5-10 gallons. So Im 3 gallons off, thats ok, right?
If not, I'll just keep the extra heater as a back up for my ten gallon's heater ( which was a back up for a garbagey heater that got all calciumy INSIDE the tube ) and buy the overly expensive 25 watt heater.
And for bettas: I noticed, kind of recently, that my male's fins ( on his sides..not his dorsal or anal fins, etc ). have in little semi circles, small holes. His fins look boney, even. I can't seem to place if he had that when I purchased him...Seeing as how I purchased him from an all around pet store, like PETSMART, that, in my area, sucks with fish...
Should I take precautions and get meds?
Oneee last thing. Has anybody tried LIQUIFRY for egglayers? ( I purchase nearly everything I'd want in the future from www.thatfishplace.com, its sooo cheap! ). I planned on purchasing that, and beginning bites ( something like that ) for fry, but I'd like to know if it's ok. Thanks! I plan to breed the bettas any day now!

Kit Walker

AC Members
Jun 9, 2002
Australia
Visit site
As for Angel tankmates, the list is huge. Your best choice is generally any good community fish which is not a fin nipper, and won't fit into it's mouth. Eg most gouramis, smaller cichids, tetras, danios, rainbowfish etc. Best to keep away from barbs. If your angels are juveniles, then a school of neons is a great color boost. Try to cover all areas of the tanks. The Angel is a mid-water fish, so examples are Clown loaches, Kribensis and Corydoras for the bottom water. Livebearers and Danios usually stay top water. If you want a cichlid community, try Kribs, Dwarf cichlids and Keyholes.

As for your betta, it could be the start of fin rot. There are heaps of meds, but I found the salt treatment to work excellent on Betta fins. An excellent fry food for egg-layers is Sera Cyclops. Just dissolve a pinch in water as required.

GobyGuy5

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
I've gotten conflicting views with "What are the best fish to place with angels", and I'd like to hear a few more opinions.I've gotten conflicting views with "What are the best fish to place with angels", and I'd like to hear a few more opinions.
I've heard that Festivums (Mesonauta festivus) school with angels in the wild, and I think a combination of the two would be great, also I'd agree with Kit about the list of other tank mates, it is just too big! To list a few: Tetras, Corydoras, Plecos, Discus (EXTREMELY hard to keep though!) Good Luck!

Ozalie

AC Members
Aug 31, 2002
Minnesota
Sounds like your going to be busy!
It isn't safe to put a heater in anything less then 5g. You'll run the risk of cooking the betta! No matter what the wattage on the heater.As for tank mates for the angels I'm sure you'll get plenty of ideas from people who know more about them then I do! Have fun.

gutterguppy

AC Members
Dec 12, 2002
PA
www.gutterguppy.com
I'm going to disagree on heating a small betta tank, based on experience.

I run two divided 2.5 gallon tanks, each with two bettas. You can safely heat them with a small (25 watt) heater, but it has to be a high quality heater. I have done this for several years without any problems, however, if a heater were to stick on, there would be no chance of catching it before it was too late.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store