Finrot

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ste36

AC Members
May 9, 2004
blackpool, england
Visit site
Hey,

I have a 3 carp and 1 of the koi has finrot i noticed it a little bit when i first got it home when i brought it, so iv got the interpet anti finrot, it tells me how to use it but it dosnt say how long i should leave it for or if the koi aint gettin any better should i put more in and how much more should i put in. My tank is 210 litres./

Thanks

Ste

vaheelsfan

AC Members
May 23, 2003
Stuarts Draft, VA
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, fin rot is usually a condition that is associated with something else, not just something that comes up on it's own. Bad water quality, stressed fish, or another disease are what usually contribute to it. If I'm not mistaken, a 210 Litre tank is roughly 55 US Gallons, right? How big are your koi? A tank that size is really too small for three koi of any size, I would think. I assume that koi are kind of messy like goldfish, but I don't know because I've never kept them. So maybe you're having water quality issues that are contributing to the fin rot.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
That is very possible, Koi need a few hundred gallons... which is why many put them in 1000+ gallon ponds. More than likely, it could be a situation of poor water quality. :(

What are your Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, and if you have it, pH level?

Ste36

AC Members
May 9, 2004
blackpool, england
Visit site
Hey,

I have had the 2 ghosties for ages and they are fine, but this newest koi is the one with the troubles cos when i first got it i noticed a little bit of rotten skin on its top fin so its gradually got worse, i got sum interpet anti fungus and fin rot and i added it to my tank correctly and the right amount, and i had to take out one of my filters the carbon one it says. few days after i noticed it is gettin worse so the guy at the store sed put more in so i put more in and when i got up this morning my tank is very cloudy :|.

The pH test show neutral,

Nitrite - 0.0mg/l

Nitrate- i think about 25mg/l

Ammonia- about 0.4mg/l i think

thanks for helping guys

Ste

vaheelsfan

AC Members
May 23, 2003
Stuarts Draft, VA
Visit site
Exactly how long is "ages"? Koi definitely get too big to be permanantly kept in a 55 gallon, so it is possible yours are sick from stunted growth. When a fish can't grow like it should, it not only makes the outside of the fish smaller, but can also cause damage inside. So the problem could be that your fish have just been getting progressively weaker, and it is only now that you are seeing physical problems. As far as the fungus medication, I've never used any, so I can't really tell you anything about that. I would say that the two best things to do right now are to A) Do a lot of large water changes, and B) Try to find a larger home for your koi.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store