My re-entry into the world of aquariums

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishingAgain

ShowThemLove.org
Jun 6, 2004
Las Vegas
www.showthemlove.org
Today the final supplies will arrive!

I am putting together two "60" gallon aquariums - the 60 is in quotes for I have learned here that in fact they are more like 50's (based upon inside measurements of 47.5 x 14.5 x 16.5 it is 49.19 gallons maxium volume).

Yesterday I received most of the supplies I have been waiting for so last night I put together the air line systems - using "HoldFast Epoxy Stick" (which I paid $13.99 for when I could have bought it online for $7.99 - one of the few things I bought locally and only because it was something I had never seen before and would have never thought to buy it online).

So the air lines are in place - allowing slack for modifications but for the main trunk lines held in place with the epoxy.

The backing (yes I used "pretty" backing) was put on two weeks ago when I bought the aquariums.

I have had the African Root parts I bought yesterday (locally for 5.99/lb) soaking all night - I'll rinse them and start another soaking cycle shortly.

Today I'll also rinse all the gravel I have bought and the "sand" (much smaller gravel) - though I'm not so sure I can really rinse the "sand" outside the aquarium.

After the rinsings I'll put them in the aquariums and start putting the root and rocks in - which I am sure will go through many changes until I find an arrangement I like.

Then I'll add water (no not for the first time - I did test the aquariums already and had drained them) and get the heaters and filters set up and get the cycling started!!!

I'll be using two Marineland Emperor 400s on each aquarium. (Is there such a thing as too much filtration?) I've used these in the past and really liked how they worked - especially with the bio wheels.

There will be two 200 watt heaters in each aquarium. (Can't remember what the recommended wattage per gallon is - but I think it is good enough especially since my apartment runs a little on the warm side.)

I understand (from other threads) that my lighting is not sufficient for one of the aquariums where I want to do plants so I'll have to work on that but since I'm looking at getting plants from http://www.azgardens.com/ (Arizona Aquatic Gardens) I won't have those until next Friday anyways so I have time before they arrive to get my lightin issues worked out.

I'll be contacting them (AAG) for what they think is best based upon what I buy from them and go from there.

Either way hopefully within a couple of weeks I'll have the aquariums outfitted the way I want and I'll post pictures (without fish).

Hopefully they will be pleasing to the eye and starving for fish once the cycling is done.

Thanks to all and the hosts of this board for all the great information! And I look forward to any hints or tips or even rants (if I have totally messed something up) anyone wants to throw my way.

Last edited:

vaheelsfan

AC Members
May 23, 2003
Stuarts Draft, VA
Visit site
Sounds awesome. I think that 2 200 Watt heaters will be more than sufficient for your tanks :) What are the air lines for? Your tanks sound great. Do you have a link to a site with pictures of African Roots? I've never heard of these. Sucks to live in a small town.

FishingAgain

ShowThemLove.org
Jun 6, 2004
Las Vegas
www.showthemlove.org
the air lines are for air stones - which I have yet to decide if I am going to do just stones or "walls" or "curtains"

I understand in a planted aquarium you don't want too much of that so I'll take it easy in that one.

that's them soaking in the tub - there are 9 or 10 pieces stacked up there (yes the poor quality picture was taken with a phone-camera)

or go here:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...lpartial&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004

Last edited:

FishingAgain

ShowThemLove.org
Jun 6, 2004
Las Vegas
www.showthemlove.org
hmmm I just read their "more information" on the African driftwood:

African Driftwood
Just as you would cure other natural structures (live rock, etc) before adding them to your aquarium, it is important to thoroughly soak driftwood prior to placement. This helps saturate the wood, loosen debris caught in the grain, and leach out tannic acids which would otherwise discolor your water. Tannic acid, while unsightly, won't harm your tank, but it will slightly lower your pH levels, a concern among some cichlid enthusiasts.

To avoid discoloring your water, soak your driftwood for as long as possible before placement. Total submersion for 1-2 weeks is recommended, since the tannic acids take that long to completely leach out of the dense wood. Boiling your driftwood in a large stock pot for 1-2 hours prior to soaking may help shorten the required cure time down to 48-72 hours. Only use dechlorinated or RO water, and scrub the wood with an algae brush to remove excess dirt.

Monitor your soaking driftwood throughout the week, watching as the water darkens, and refresh the soak water every other day or so until you no longer notice any discoloration for several days in a row. The driftwood is then ready for placement.

If your water discolors even after your patient weeks of soaking, we recommend Purigen to help clarify your water again.

Using Driftwood to create "Black Water" Aquariums
Some aquarists use the tannic acids in driftwood to naturally lower the pH in their tanks, and/or to create the tea-colored "black water" thought to be the preference of Amazonian Tetras like neons, cardinals, rummynoses, and bleeding hearts. If this is your preference, then only a short soak and scrub is necessary before adding driftwood to your aquarium.

The easiest way to arrange your aquarium scape is after you have removed water during a water change. Rearrange your aquarium, adding the driftwood where you want it, before refilling the tank.

soooo I might need to continue the soaking for awhile longer....

FishingAgain

ShowThemLove.org
Jun 6, 2004
Las Vegas
www.showthemlove.org
I just emptied the yellow water from the wood soaking -

I have 8 (not 7 - can't count) pieces that weighed a total of 9 pounds when they were dry. They are some very interesting looking pieces. I went with the 8 smaller (probably between small and medium to med-large sizes) over a couple of very large pieces because each one had unique shapes and characteristics that I thought would give more character to the aquariums than a couple of large pieces.

Last edited:

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
I put a piece of driftwood, along with new natural colored gravel, into my tank, and it's amazing how different the lighting looks!

I wouldn't worry too much about the coloring of the driftwood seeping into the water, since you're fishless cycling anyways, the tank will be empty for a while, long enough for any ph imbalance that may arise from the tannins to settle back down again.

Good luck!
~Tara

FishingAgain

ShowThemLove.org
Jun 6, 2004
Las Vegas
www.showthemlove.org
my gravel is a natural mixture of colors too - heading off now to pick up my latest delivery....

that's a good thought too... I'll continue to soak them in the tub until I'm ready to start "aquascaping" then I'll not worry about the colors since I'll be doing fishless cycling and like you say - that should all be gone well before I get to the point of adding fish - thanks for the idea

FishingAgain

ShowThemLove.org
Jun 6, 2004
Las Vegas
www.showthemlove.org
Well I finished putting tank # 1 together last night (this morning around 3am)

The following 3 pictures are 640x480 with file sizes of 95K to 115K(jpg compression of 8)

Yes there are daylight window reflection issues in the pictures - I'll try to replace them with night time shots tonight. None of the 3 windows receive direct sunglight but plenty of indirect light does come in through them.

I am not sure this is quite the look I was going for, it is close, but I might add more layers of flat rock. What do you think? Please feel free to give me your opinions, don't worry about hurting my feelings (I don't have any ;) )

Also do you think South African Cichlids will find this habital? (is that a word?)

Thanks for the feedback!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store