AquaClear changes all filter lines

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
This is merely a message of convenience but I thought I would share with everyone that AquaClear has changed the names (or model numbers) of each of its filtration devices. The news isn’t that “new”, however many aquatic catalogs are just beginning to list the filters as their new line up. In the past, AC named their filter models as such: Mini, 150, 200, 300, and 500.

Now, the filters are called as such:
AquaClear Mini = AquaClear 20
AquaClear 150 = AquaClear 30
AquaClear 200 = AquaClear 50
AquaClear 300 = AquaClear 70
AquaClear 500 = AquaClear 110

Don’t ask me why AquaClear (Hagen) felt the need to do this, because frankly it confused me somewhat upon learning they switched model numbers. To some extent, AquaClear was always “famous” for its model numbers as they followed the filter’s gph, for the most part. The only thing I can think of in regards to why Hagen changed the names of their filter models is that they are rivaling Whisper which now lists their filter lines as Filter 10, 20, 30, 40, and 60.

So in short, it’s a pain in the rear and will continue to peeve many people off for months to come but we need to get over it. :p

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
So I guess that the new numbers aren't meant to signify the max tank size for the filter. The old Mini was rated to 20 gallon tanks. Oh well.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
No, the new numbers are meant to signify the maximum sized aquarium for the filter in question. However, I do not agree with there figures. For example, on all my 20-gallon breeder tanks, I have AquaClear 200’s on them. According to their figures, an AquaClear 200 (or “50”) is suitable for a 50-gallon aquarium.

For a 50-55 gallon aquarium, I would recommend an AquaClear 500 (or “110”). You’d think they would think the same way as each filter costs more money as the model number goes up. Oh well, that’s what fish forums are for. We always set the record straight! :D

wcader

Registered Member
Jul 21, 2003
Visit site
I think it's a German/European thing. I've noticed that both AquaClear (Hagen) and Eheim seem to rate their filters for tanks much larger than we Americans/Canadians seem comfortable with.

I think it's because Europeans traditionally stock their tanks much more sparingly than we do. They go for the "Dutch tank" which contains primarilly plants with just a few fish. Consequently, they can get away with using a 200 gph filter on a 50-gallon tank.

In addition to AquaClear renumbering their filters, I've also noticed that they've started to included some Biomax and a mesh bag as a "third stage" of filtration, i.e., sponge, carbon pack, topped office with BioMax.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
So they've gone from one set of seemingly arbitrary model numbers to another? Now, THAT'S marketing!

I think Eheim (and maybe other canister makers) rate their filters for larger tanks is as much because of the higher efficiency of canister (vs. HOB) filters. There's not much comparison between the path of water thru an Eheim 2028 and an Aquaclear 500...

I suppose we should be happy that Hagen didn't change the size of the filters such that the new 'AC 70' foams would be too small for our existing AC 300s.

:rolleyes:

Jim

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Actually, I thought the old model numbers were quite handy. Besides the 500 model, the numbers reflected the gph and it really helped make things easy, and simple IMO. The new numbers, while the makers seem to think are even more useful do seem arbitrary in that they are not sufficient for the recommended tank size. Oh well…

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
As everyone here likely knows, I work at a Pet Store....and I'm 'in charge' of all the fish products.

First, smaller model numbers are easier for customers to remember. Otherwise, they run through the aisle opening up every filter cartridge, looking for the right one because they can't remember what filter they have. But the primary reason, as has been said before, is the tank recomendations. You would be surprise how little most people picking out their first filter know. I know I didn't remember how little I knew as a newbie. Most don't even know what a heater is, so if no one is around to help them figure out filters, then those model numbers make much more sense. Furthermore, Whisper has done the same thing...a few years ago.

Hagen overall is undergoing a lot of changes in all their animal departments, trying to update their packaging and products to keep up with companies like - actually, only - Tetra and MarineLand, the former of which still only using GPH on their heaters.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
I was gonna mention that Rocketman. The largest majority of people in this hobby really have no Idea, I was that way once, and did very well for years without much knowledge. For me it's important to know the flow, but most people just want to know what fits the tank they are buying, and they are more than happy to rely on the manufacturer to decide for them. I'm sure AC has lost some sales for that reason alone.

I think it's a German/European thing. I've noticed that both AquaClear (Hagen) and Eheim seem to rate their filters for tanks much larger than we Americans/Canadians seem comfortable with.
Informed responsible hobbyists tend to filter more than others. In all honesty, many of us could get away with less filtration, but chose the easier better systems. My brother has run many tanks for years with very few real problems, and doesn't own a single test kit, doesn't know a thing about cycling, and uses whatever the manufacturer says will work. It is very hard to convince someone who has had success that they aren't doing things as well as they could. He loses an occasional fish, but for the most part he is happy with the results. I do things differently (and do my best to teach him without putting him on the defensive) He runs an AC 200 on a 40 with 2 common plecos, 10 mollies, 20 guppies and 3 cories and 12 cardinal tetra's. It scares me to death but he is content. he has kept african cichlids, puffers, gourami's and angelfish in the past as well. He currently has a 39 with two convicts and a GT and seems to think there is room.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
I think that the HOB folks are more concerned w/GPH than canister folks- GPH is such a bogus measure in any case, whether HOB or canister - I do hope that no one here actually thinks that a 150GPH HOB actually filters 150 gallons per hour.

And, yes, I also massively overfilter. But I am a very concervative hobbyist.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store