Fishless cycle finally over!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jujubee

AC Members
Apr 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
Well its finally over, after about 3 weeks. This is my planned stocking list:

46 gallon bow front:

6 serpae tetras
3 blackskirt tetras
10 neon tetras
4 corys (panda cories probably)
3 ottos
1 or 2 Dwarf gouramis

Would that be fully stocked or could I add a few more fish? I can't wait to put fish in. :D

jamjarjames

AC Members
May 31, 2004
Peterborough, UK
Visit site
i would slowly build up checking the ammonai and nitrite levels as you do. It all depends on so many things its hard to say whats too much. Just add some fish and if ammonia starts to rise you know your at the limit.

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Stock by zone

IMO, fishless cycling ought to develop a large bacteria colony, compared to a bunch of tiny fish, but I've not done that so I don't know how fast you can stock. One would think that you could stock ratehr heavily, which would be better for allowing hte fish to establish their territories all at once instead of having to defend them over and over again.

I suggest stocking by the swimming zone if possible. So all the midlevel swimmers of the same sort at the same time, with the serpaes going last because they are bullies.

The neons are often sickly so they might go in first as a group. Let them get setled, and be certain they are healthy before adding more. Or dd all the tetras at once.

Cories are sensitive so add them near last, maybe before the serpaes.

i dont know about the gouramies.

jujubee

AC Members
Apr 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
well, i ended up getting 2 cories and 12 neons today, sure enough 2 neons have already died. The cories on the other hand are doing great. They are the coolest little fish. They made themselves at home right away. I am going back to the fish store tonight to get my refund on the 2 neons that died. So right now in the tank I have 3 ottos, 4 serpaes, 2 blackskirt tetras, 10 neons, and the 2 cories. Hopefully within a few days to a week I may be adding gouramis. Would a dwarf gourami and a honey gourami get along ok together? Also what could I get for the upper levels of the tank, right now nothing is swimming near the top (except for the cories once in a while, lol). I don't really want zebra danios though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store