Flat Mat Anemone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BooBooFish

AC Members
May 20, 2004
VA
Visit site
My local pet shop has a tank of "Flat Mat Anemones" I didn't recall ever coming across this type in the reading I have done and a search has left me empty handed. Is any one familiar with this type or is it another name for one I may have heard of before? Just curious.

Stephen

There's always a bigger fish...
Nov 28, 2002
Virginia
BooBoo...

Is this shop by any chance in Charlottesville? I've seen the flat mats in Pet Forum in Charlottesville and they look very similar to a sand anemone I have in a 10 gallon nano. It's only about half the size of the ones I've seen offered in pet forum however so I can't be 100% positive they are the same. Information about them is pretty scarce however. I can tell you that mine likes the light (tank has 6 watts per gallon), it moves around more than my other anemones, it accepts cut up fish, shrimp, clams, and photoplankton.

Also if you did see these in Pet Forum don't count on it being a flat mat or sand. Although pet forum is a great store I've purchased LTA, bubble tips, carpet, and "sebea" anemones all from a tank labeled flat mat and for flat mat prices. This was even after asking the store employee many times if they are sure they will sell it as a flat mat.

BooBooFish

AC Members
May 20, 2004
VA
Visit site
Stephen

It is at the Cville Pet Forum. It is sometimes hard to get good information there. The last few times I was in there were a lot of dead fish in the tanks. I buy my food there but after a many weeks of bad looking fish I am now buying my livestock online. When I asked about the "flat mat" I was told it as very common. Shows how important research is. Good to hear from a fellow Charlottesvillian.

Stephen

There's always a bigger fish...
Nov 28, 2002
Virginia
BooBoo... Things have been crappy there lately. The owner Bill has a broken leg and the guy he hired to take care of things fell into the "hang around the counter" attitude the other employees developed since he's been gone. I don't think any of them leave the counter unless someone they know has any ties to the owner comes in. It's really sad. The owner knows things are going downhill but he can't be there all the time to correct it at the moment. Hopefully it'll become the store it once was...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store