Read And Learn

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Hello Newbies,
The History of Len
I started in Fishkeeping in 1966. I was tutored by an old time fishkeeper and breeder here in Jersey who was well respected in this area. I got heavily into the hobby for the better part of 10 years, to the point where I had in excess of 1000 gallons of water in the basement distributed among 30 - 40 tanks. I was breeding many types of tetras,ciclids, and gouramis during this time and was pretty succesful with it. At that time the rule of thumb was water changes quarterly. That alone should give you and idea how how the knowledge base has changed over the years. I thought I knew just about everything about fishkeeping at that time. Over the following years I found myself having less and less success with fish and became disallusioned with the hobby to the point where I pretty much gradually gave it up.
I discovered this forum last year and it has been a revelation to me. I've learned just how much I didn't know about fish and their needs while involving myself here and just felt the need to write this down for all of you who are starting out and possibly some who have been involved with aquariums and are questioning all the old methods and finding them inadaquate.
My advise is to read, read, and read some more, as although you'll find many diverse methods and opinions on the subject here, if you look hard enough you'll eventually find a consensus(sp.?) and be able to make an informed decision on how to proceed with just about any problem that may occur in your water world at home. Don't be afraid to ask questions as many of us learn even more on the subject by exchanging information derived from your questions and the answers to them.
And finally......don't get discouraged.....we've all been there and have come out the other side because were had the persistance to keep on plugging away until we were heading in the right direction. We are not all rocket scientists, but we are learning our hobby.....Stick with us.
Thanks for listening.
Len

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store