Will Midas and Green Terrors get along in the same tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

S. American

AC Members
Jan 3, 2003
Visit site
I used to have two Jack Dempsey but had to give them up because all they did was fight and tear each other up. They were both about 8inches big and there were distinct territories in the tank.

There was a dominant one but both looked pretty beat up, as they would fight and never back down until I broke it up. Even if I put my hand in the tank, they would fight. Needless to say this was depressing.

Now I have 3 very small Green Terrors and two Midas' that are about twice the size of the Green Terrors. The tank is about 70gal (I'll upgrade once they get bigger). I didn't know anything about Midas' but when I saw it I had to get two. Now I'm kinda regretting it because G. Terrors are very cool, personable fish and from what I've learned Midas are way more aggressive and get much bigger.

What are your suggestions? Is this a workable setup or will I have the same problem I had with my Jacks?... the only thing to survive the JD's was my 8inch Pleco.

Thanks again,
Michael

Baraka

Can I buy you a fish Sandwich?
Apr 17, 2001
GAMEHENGE
sagan.physast.uga.edu
No they wont get along

NickH

AC Members
Oct 12, 1998
Morris Township, NJ
I personally do not have experience with bigger tanks, but my guess is you would need a 6ft. tank. Even then, 1 midas and 1 GT would be the most you could hope for (in adulthood). These fish are even more aggressive and territorial (and larger) than JD's. If aggressive cichlids in numbers is what you want in the same amount of space, you should look to smaller species.

AikidoGuy

Cichlidiot
Jul 3, 2001
Sparta, New Jersey
even in a 6ft 150gal the midas will whoop the the green terrors then they will try to kill each other off till only 1 midas rules the whole entire tank.

S. American

AC Members
Jan 3, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for the responses, so now I have to decide which to keep... what YOU do if you had to decide. I like the Green Terrors color and personality, but the Midas are pretty cool too. I don't see many of them in the LFS.

Thanks again,
Michael

TTman

AC Members
May 20, 2001
midas=1 of the meanest s.o.b.s out there. fast becoming a fav of mine.

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
Green terrors. Very owner interactive and less homicidal while still being aggressive. Also you could keep a pair in your tank or put in another fish equal in size and aggression.

undertow

Factory sealed for your protection
Dec 4, 2002
Las Vegas,NV
Visit site
:) I second that, Deb2! Although my female green terror is rather homicidal!:D Can't wait to breed her...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store