Thinking about switching filters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Snake Eyez

AC Members
Jun 14, 2004
Central Florida
Visit site
I have a 20g long tank that has been set up for over a month. Currently I have a Regent filter that is rated for 20g and is around 5 years old. Recently it's started to make some noise at times and then goes back to normal. I worry that it's gonna give out on me soon, so I'm thinking of replacing it. I haven't bought a replacement, but I'm considering the Aquaclear 30 as my new filter.

I would like some imput from more experience members as to how I should make the switch from one filter system to the other.
I also have a small Whisper 2-5 that is also operating in the tank and has been there approx. 2 weeks.

The tank has: 1 dwarf gourami, 3 danios, 3 rasporas, 1 albino cat (I know about the size, will be moved to a friends pond when needed) and 1 "feeder fish"

Any input as to the best method of changing the filter is welcome.

Thanks

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
First of all, I would go with an AquaClear 50 (or "200"). I like a high turn-over rate, so thats what I would go with. These makers of the filters seem to over-rate their filters for some reason.

Also, I would run both the new filter and old filter at once. You can never have too much filtration (not in this case). If the water gets too stirred, just reduce the control on the AC which lets you control the flow of the water.

RobUK

AC Members
Apr 16, 2004
To elaborate on what Aquariumfishguy said...

The majority of your good bacteria will be in your filter media, so by running both the new and old filter for a few weeks you will give the new filter time to establish. At this point you can ofcourse remove the old filter if you wish. Other option is to use the media from your old filter in your new one, that way you will only have to run the one filter.

Whatever you do, dont be tempted to just unplug the old one and plug in the new one as it will basically mean your tank will end up going through at least a "semi" cycle and it will stress out and worst case kill your fishes :(

Hope that helps :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store