Compact Fluorescents

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cichlid Woman

Dwarf cichlids rule ...
Nov 27, 2002
central Illinois
Visit site
Hi, folks,

I've just managed to totally confuse myself trying to find information on the web regarding compact fluorescent setups. I've currently got a 38-gallon planted tank running two 20-watt fluorescent bulbs, and I'd like to get more light in there.

Research seems to indicate compact fluorescents might be what I need. Questions!!

--Can I use my 20-watt, 24-inch-long standard fluorescent housing to run compact fluorescents?

--What is a retrofit? I assume the electronic fixtures need to change to run compact fluorescents, rather than just trying to plug a compact fluorescent bulb into my current standard fluorescent pin sockets. Is this what a retrofit is for? And can a retrofit be installed into the light housing I already have?

--What is the cheapest way to do this?! (I got totally lost on the web trying to figure this out ...)

--Is it worth doing? Do you think compact fluorescents really put out more light for my plants?

THANKS!

-- Pat

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
it would likely be easier to just buy a new ballast and two 24" VHO bulbs.

same size bulbs as yours but are 75 watts each.

or you could just run one bulb, as 75 watts might be enough for you.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
untrue. they both put out the same amount of both heat and light per watt.

i dont know where the rumor started that CFs are alot more efficent (ive heard 2x or even 3x more efficent) but its not true.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Maybe VHO bulbs run the same temp as pc bulbs, but I would bet the ballasts dont.

For great pc equipment at a good price from very helpful folks visit http://www.ahsupply.com/

I have 2x36w retrofitted into an old Perfecto twin flo tube hood, a pair of 2x36w on my 50 gal and 1 1x55w on my 75. I love them.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
ahsupply uses fulham ballasts.

fulham ballasts will run both linear fluorescents and CF bulbs.

:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store