types of algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jacblades

klingon word for superior galactic
May 11, 2004
alabama
www.angelfire.com
i have several tanks in a window ledge. some have green algae and some have brown (it may be red-im not sure) algae. why? my brackish tank and one of my betta tanks have green. some others have brown (red?) and the rest dont have any at all! i like the look of green algae and if i could, i would like them all to grow that. even when i scrub the brown stuff off and clean the tanks thoroughly, it still comes back in the same places! why is this happening?

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Brown "algae" really isn't algae. I will go into details later... but the tanks being next to the window isn't a good idea. Forgetting about the fact that there could be drafts and temperature swings by a window, algae is bound to grow where there is light + water + nutritients to grow.

Types of Algae

Green Surface Algae
Green surface algae is the most common algae found in tanks. It creates a thin layer of hard to remove, dark green algae. Algae-eating fish and snails prefer this type of algae. It can be physically removed but can be difficult. It usually needs to be scraped off.

Brown algae:
Brown algae are actually diatoms and not true algae. They coat ornaments, real and fake plants, glass, and gravel with a thin, dark brown layer. Brown algae prefer low light levels. They commonly grow in new tanks or those with low levels of light. Increasing the intensity or quantity of lights may decrease the growth of brown algae but in turn will increase the growth of other algae. Brown algae is easy to physically remove with an algae pad as it does not adhere as strongly as green algae. While some snails and algae-eating fish will inadvertently eat some brown algae, most algae-eating fish prefer green algae and will only eat brown algae if they have no alternative food source.

Blue-green algae:
Blue-green algae (BGA) are not true algae. They are cyanobacteria. If objects in the tank are coated with thick sheets of slimy, bright-greenish blue algae, it may be blue-green algae. It commonly grows in tanks with too many nutrients. Scrubbing it off and then doing a 50% water change should help. Do frequent large water changes until it goes away. Reduce the quantity of fish or food added. The treatment with antibiotics may kill some or all of the blue-green algae but could also kill good bacteria. When the treatment is ended, the blue-green algae may return. This stuff is nasty! It is a beautiful green but slimy and coats everything once it takes over.

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
what about this algae: I have a 20 long shell dweller cichlid tank and had a severe outbreak of brown algae (diatom's) that wouldn't go away so I added a bristlenose and all the brown is gone but recently I noticed a couple green spots on the heater and upon closer inspection, I notice little tufts of green growing in spots along some rocks, on the heater and on the back glass of the aquarium. they look like tiny plants growing. they "blades" are about 1/8-3/16" long and they are only in certain areas right now but seem to be spreading. the bristlenose doesn't seem to be eating any of it. I decided to just leave it grow and add to the natural look but wonder what it is. KYle

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Hmmm.... it COULD be the beginning forms of hair algae? Hair algae is very common in ponds but less so in aquariums. If the algae is in fine strands, then it is hair algae. Few animals will eat it. It is best to physically remove it by whirling it around fingers or sticks. Hair algae may be called brush algae.

jacblades

May 11, 2004
alabama
www.angelfire.com
but why do some of the tanks have green and some have brown? they all get a good amount of light.
see how 2 of the betta tanks have brown algae but the others dont? i even rotate them all every day when i feed them. when i scrub it off (once a week), it still comes back in those 2 tanks. the fry tank on the far right has brown algae on the bottom. the betta tank on top of the right stack has green algae in the bottom and the brackish tank second from the right has tons of green algae (i like that.) a few of the other betta tanks have small spots of brown algae. the tank third from the right is new and hasnt had the chance to get an algae yet.
i am confused! all i want is green algae:sad

jacblades

May 11, 2004
alabama
www.angelfire.com
Originally posted by aquariumfishguy
Oh wow... look at that view... perfect, um almost. Paint the walls white. Then move the tanks and take another picture.. ahh... :p
hheh...when i was 15, i chose to paint my room "lucky charm green." it was between that and "passion puff pink." i thikn i should have gone with the pink...
the tanks never get over 84. i thought it would fluctuate a lot too but apparently it doesnt.
help me with the algae! pleeeeeease? :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store