LTA laying on side?!?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

skiflyer

AC Members
May 27, 2004
Cape Coral, Florida
Visit site
Hi,

I bought a long tentacle anemone about a 1 1/2 weeks ago. I placed it on the sand since my lfs told me they have to put their foot in the sand to be truly happy. However, it has been in there and is not setting foot. \
Is it ok for the anemone to lay on its side??? It also is crawling around on its side throughout the tank. is this normal???

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
i would like to know too. i have only had one anemone, but i had the exact same problem as you skiflyer. mine seemed happy, always extended out all the way. mine was also a LTA. i thought that something was wrong with mine so i traded it in for some LR. im not at all saying its normal, but mine crawled on its side all the time too. usually laid on the bottom with its foot facing the back glass, but not touching anything. if someone pms you please let me know, i thought there might be something wrong with mine too.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
What is your tank setup? How long has it been setup? What are the water params? What sort of lighting do you have? What other fish and inverts are there?

skiflyer

AC Members
May 27, 2004
Cape Coral, Florida
Visit site
Its a 55gal with a magnum 350 + surface skimmer attachment, 2 powerheads.
~3 inch sand bed, 40lbs vanuatu live rock.
I currently have in there:

1 rock anemone
1 LTA
1 condylactus
1 yellow tang
1 powder blue tang
1 regal tang
2 false percula clowns
1 true percula
1 coral banded shrimp
1 arrow crab

Water Parameters are:

Ammonia=0
Nitrate=5
Nitrite=0
Calcium=440
phosphate=0
iron=0
KH= ~130
Ph= 8.1
Specific Gravity= 1.0225 (in process of raising to 1.024/25

The tank has been set up for about 4-5 month.
Protein skimmer (red sea prizm) is order and on its way :)

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
What kind of lights do you have? These guys get a good portion of their food from their symbiotic algae and if they aren't getting enough light they will bleach. Also is it eating what and how often? What kind of current do you have it in it needs pretty low flow or it will have a hard time attaching . I'd try feeding it a little and see if that livens it up a bit.
Sorry I couldn't help more
Chris
p.s. That's WAY too many tangs for a 55 you're asking for WWIII. I'm not even sure that it would support one of those species when grown.

skiflyer

AC Members
May 27, 2004
Cape Coral, Florida
Visit site
I have power compact 4x55watts 2x actinic and 2 x10k white they are "helios."
I tried feeding it some table shrimp, but it wouldn't eat it.
Current-wise i have two powerheads.
I know three tangs might be a little bit much...for the tank size, but they are only 3-4 inches each, and they are getting along fine as of now. Once they get too big i will trade them in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store