The End Of Cycling Forever!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
I have a cheaper way to cycle your tank, literally overnight. I just did this 2 or 3 days ago with a 29G and have done it with 2 others before, so don't tell me it doesn't work.

1) Fill up the tank and hook up all the equipment and stir it around to release all of the Nitrogen bubbles that attack to the glass and gravel.

2) Add some (in my case, 3) plants from established tanks.

3) I have a plastic sandwhich bag filled with gravel. Everytime I get a new tank, I put this bag in that tank and add a tiny bit of gravel from that new tank. I keep it there until it goes into the next new tank.

4) Add some Ammonia, (I probably added a tablespoon or so). It's said you're supposed to use clear ammonia; I haven't seen a difference.

Ammonia was off the charts immideatly after; 10-12 hours later it was down to 0.

fishypoo2

Editor of Tropical Fish Monthly
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Sounds like SPAM to me. It's this user's first post and it's in the wrong forum. :rolleyes:

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Well I know it's not spam simply because he posted this at another forum and had 15 or so posts...

the problem is that it is hard to find
must be properly stored -before you get it too
costs $

sdb

AC Members
May 4, 2004
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
I, too, have heard that Bio-Spira works well. It's not a new product on the market or anything. Actually, apparently it's off the market right now, and like mentioned, it's very hard to find. I read that it may be back in stores again next year. But with all the good things I've heard about it, I haven't heard it cycles a tank in 24 hours. I'd say that's a little much. But who knows, stranger things have happened. Anyone here had it work that fast?

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
yah - I've only heard of it's use in FW and everyone that I've talked to that has used it has used it in a FW tank....

slvrcvc

AC Members
May 16, 2004
southern california
Visit site
i used to to cycle my son's first 10 gallon and it worked in 3-4 days. but it was like $11.99 for 3 oz, if memory serves right.

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
Originally posted by sguthrie

I'm confused. I thought that Biospira is for fresh water...
I believe what RTR was refering to was the fact that they are currently all out of the FW version of Bio Spira. Something about it being so wildly sucessful that they ran out of culture and now have to grow more. I've heard September thrown around as the month it should be back on sale.

Tom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store