Angelfish with CFS

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Daffodil

Registered Member
Jun 23, 2004
Visit site
My parents are currently looking after my fish while I am overseas and they have run into a little trouble. One of my angelfish, the beautiful gold one has come down sick.

They have diagnosed the illness as chronic fatigue syndrome, as he just lies down all the time on the bottom of the tank or on a plant leaf and only swims around when they are being feed. I presume this must mean that he has a swim bladder problem. They say that he has been this way for about a month now.

I moved the tank to their place 3 weeks before I left so that I could check everything was OK and it all seemed fine. The angelfish came down sick 7 weeks later. They bought some general medicene for it but they said it made no difference.

The other fish in the tank - a platy, a bala shark, a fellow angelfish, a black ghost knife and a bristlenose catfish all are going fine. They did say that they had a big algae problem a week or so earlier though and we have just come from a very hot Australian summer (often the tank was above 26°C ) to winter, they have checked that the heater is working properly. I am sorry but I can't currently provide any details of the water conditions at the moment.

I really liked this angelfish, is there anything that I could get them to try to help the poor thing? or is he beyond help now?

Daffodil

Registered Member
Jun 23, 2004
Visit site
The tank is about 30 g. They are doing a 30 percent water change every week.

I know that I should have them in a bigger tank, but both the shark and black ghost knife are very small (less than 4 inches) and I didn't want to put them though a change of tank as well as the move before I left.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store