Supplimental media for sump filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

QCppg

Carp for brains!
May 4, 2004
Visit site
I just aquired a 1/2 cubic foot sump filter used. Is there any way I can use the large collecting portion of the sump for additional bio filtration? And should I add a few ghost shrimp to the sump to consume any solid particles that are not captured by the prefilter (note that my pump generates a significant vacuum)? I would appreciate any adivse. Thanks.

nico

AC Members
May 30, 2004
Australia
Ever thought about using Gutter Guard, it has a large surface area and very cheap.
Why dont you just get some form or filter wool instead of using shrimp, im just thinking about the amount of waste that is going through to feed him is probably worth using the form or wool instead and it would keep the water cleaner by traping those particles.

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
You can throw some loose gravel or, if you're willing to spend the money, some Ehfisubstrate (made by Eheim for canister filters) to enhance your biological filtration (if you need more). You can probably just set it in the sump. It might be a bit more difficult to mechanically filter the water more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store