I just bought a new betta and i am not sure if something is wrong.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rockin_Sunset

Betta Lover
Jun 12, 2004
florida/california
Visit site
i heard that the gill cover should be closed but his looks open. here are some pictures:

is it supposed to be like that?

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
Are you talking about what looks like a little flap of skin? If you are, then that's normal... my bettas have all had that... I think if the gill cover is sticking up or straight out to the side then that's an issue.

If you hold a small mirror in front of your betta where he can see it, he will see his reflection, and think it's another male betta, and flare up. You will see when he flares up that that flap of skin comes out (kind of like the dinosaur in jurassic park that opens up 'wings' behind his head and spits poison at Newman).

... he sure has pretty coloring, btw!

~Tara

Sunny

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Texas, USA
excoboard.com
Beautiful fish! I don't see anything wrong with the gills. I think it looks this way because he has an overall lighter colouring. My fish's gills are protruding the same way. Just don't buy him a mate. I just had a bad experience with that. :mad:

Rockin_Sunset

Betta Lover
Jun 12, 2004
florida/california
Visit site
His name is kai. He would also like to thank you all for the compliments.:D Once I set up his tank better I will post a picture of it.

brookelyn

AC Members
Mar 18, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
Lovely betta you have there! :)

As everyone else has already mentioned, his gills are normal and healthy, but it never hurts to ask like you did when in doubt.

How big is Kai's tank,and what are your plans for it (decorating wise)?

Rockin_Sunset

Betta Lover
Jun 12, 2004
florida/california
Visit site
its one of those Kritter keepers.I only had enough to buy him and the tank. he was so cool i just had to get him.

I am not sure on the decorating. I have to wait till i get more money.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store