poor convict =(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

o snap its eric

AC Members
Jan 2, 2003
san francisco
Visit site
ok so i suppositly have 2 pairs in breeding but since i had a lil outburst of ich problem i chose to do the cover up the tank for 2 days method and im glad to say it works. but the bad news is one pair decided to split up. it seems like the male has parted from the female. and the male is being very agressive to the female, such as chasing it and once in a while trying to bite her. anyhoo being the nice owner i was i went out to buy him a new mate. i found this super pretty one and it was sexualy matured also. i dumped her into the tank and none of the convicts seem to like her. they chase her all around the tank and nipping her. now she is hanging around the top corners of my tank with the other female who was parted by the male convict. is this a good sign for the female or is this just an initation to the tank community? you guys think the female convicts will get along better with the coming days?

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
hmmm...a few weeks before fry mysteriously appeared in my tank, my male would not allow my female to ome lower than 2 inches from teh top of the tank, or else he'd chase her all over, it had me worried, but in a few weeks...the babies were all over and apparently IN MY CASE it was normal mating behavior...and mine coincidentally occured during an ick outbreak....bizarre

friend of oscar

AC Members
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
Yes the male was most likly trying to get the female to breed but she wasnt ready so he starts beating her up. It happens alot in differnet types of cichlids. I would take the newest female back.

o snap its eric

AC Members
Jan 2, 2003
san francisco
Visit site
can the female convict who are not ready just grow till they are ready? or do you mean its just not the right pair and the male knows that and wants to get rid of it?

Originally posted by friend of oscar
Yes the male was most likly trying to get the female to breed but she wasnt ready so he starts beating her up. It happens alot in differnet types of cichlids. I would take the newest female back.

friend of oscar

AC Members
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
No, they will probabley breed it just might take awhile until the female is ready. Most convict pairs are like that. Or in fat alot of cichlid pairs can be like that. Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store