PPM and Mg/L

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FUSION1296

AC Members
Jun 6, 2004
Visit site
hi all , sorry to ask a silly question , i am cycling my tank and my test kits ( tetra) ( im in the UK ) are all marked in mg/L and all the people here talk about PPM , is say, 20mg/l the same as 20ppm, i have in my tank 5 days after adding my first fish ( sorry doing a fish cycle) ammonia 0.0 mg/l nitrites 0.6 mg/l nitrates 16mg/l PH is 8 , it says on the leaflet that comes with the kits that all those readings are ok , but i would like to compare them with other people here
thanks

Last edited:

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Yes, ppm & mg/L readings are the same thing. Some booklets even have the two side by side, i.e. in my nitrite booklet it says "0 - 3.3 mg/L (ppm) N02".

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
it says on the leaflet that comes with the kits that all those readings are ok , but i would like to compare them with other people here
During a fishy cycle, this isn't too bad for a reading, I try to keep my nitrites under 0.5 ppm(mg/l) anytime a fish is in the water. With hardy fish that level will ensure no long term damage IMO. If in doubt, reduce it lower with a water change. once the cycle is done you should read 0 on both nitrites and ammonia all the time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store