<1wpg plants?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChicoRaton

Se?or Member
Jun 5, 2004
Idaho, USA
www.hazy8.com
I have a 55 with the standard 48" 40w bulb fixture on it. I am planning to lightly plant the tank, more for the fishes' benefit than anything, but it also makes the tank less empty looking. I plan to overdrive the bulb with a 2-bulb ballast, to give 1.7x the normal about of light, or 68 watts for about 1.25 wpg. What plants can I grow with this kind of lighting? right now I have java moss, an anubias and a cryptocoryne, not sure of the exact species but all low light plants form what I've read... The java moss is actually many years old... I've had it for a long time. There should be an aquatic plant newbies forum.:laugh: Anyway, thanks

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Well yo can easily add Java Fern to your plants. It will grow slowly but is a nice broad leafed fern that can really fill up an area well.

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
With only a 20 watt powerglo on a 35 gallon I was able to grow:

Anubias
Vallisneria
Rotala Indica (mostly green)
Ludwigia Repens (mostly green)
Crypts
Java Ferns
Limnophila sessiflora
Dwarf Sag (Sagittaria Subdulata)

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
With just a tad over 1 wpg I keep Amazon Swords, Pygmy swords, Ruffled swords, Rubin Swords, Several Anubias varieties, Crypts, Crystal, Vals, Onion plants, Water sprite, Hygrophila (giant and sunset), algae balls, and red Tiger Lotus.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Tank depth makes a big difference as well. The deeper the tank the more light you need to reach the plant. So 1 wpg on a really tall tank is less than 1 wpg on a short small tank.

ChicoRaton

Se?or Member
Jun 5, 2004
Idaho, USA
www.hazy8.com
Tank depth makes a big difference as well. The deeper the tank the more light you need to reach the plant. So 1 wpg on a really tall tank is less than 1 wpg on a short small tank.
Yeah, That's why WPG never made sense to me.. It'd be best if we all had light meters and could get an actual average lumen reading, but I guess wpg suffices. my tank has 40 watts over a 48 inch long by 20 inch deep tank.

Thanks everyone for your help!:) next time I'm at my lfs I'll see if I can't find some of those plants. If not, I'll just ask the owner to order osme for me. She's pretty good about special orders. She usually only carries 1-2" kribs so I asked her if she could order an adult pair, and the shipment came all females but without me even coming in or asking her to, she placed another order for adult kribs to try and get a male. And I'm getting off topic.

Great prices too, $2.50 for any potted plant, some are pretty good size. I got a sword-like anubias(forgot the species) plant about 12-13" high with two biiiig leaves, and after a week and a half it has 3 new leaves coming up. the crypt. wendtii I got is doing well too, has a few new leaves coming up. I was suprised, esp. since it's .8wpg, no co2, plain gravel, no nutrient dosing.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions!
:D

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Tank height doesn't make that much of a difference. I have read that nearly half the light doesn't make it through the first 12" (1 foot) of water but after that additional depth does not make much of a difference.

A 30" deep tank only requires 3.3% more light to have the same intensity as in a 12" deep tank.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Add bolbitus to your list, I really like mine, it grows painfully slow in low light, but stays green and does grow. its a pretty awesome looking plant IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store