Is it possible to make a tide in a terrarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

D_Man

Registered Member
Jan 3, 1999
Burnaby, BC, Canada
I understand

I studied the link and the image posted, and the writings of the author. I understand how it works in principle, though I known not the degree of control the user has over the water level between tide transitions. Since a computer can be used to control this, I suspect that with experimentation, the tide could be made to gradually rise over time, and recede likewise by toggling valves on & off repetitiously when they are not entirely on or off. Regardless, here's what it appears to be, and if it is not, here's how I'd build it.

Notice in the left half of the picture identified as the shallow end, a large cavity wherein water may be stored. If this resevoir is full and at the same level as the rest of the tank, we're at low tide.

The drain in the deep end mentioned would be near the bottom of the tank (somewhere on the right), and would allow water to simply re-enter this resevoir freely, thus acheiving low tide. This drain as mentioned is controlled by a solenoid valve.

The second drain into the sump is at a higher level (on the slope) and is also controlled by a solenoid valve. If the lower valve in the deep end were closed, and the second drain were open, the water level would rise to some point beyond the second drain, as the resevoir would become somewhat depleted.

If both valves were closed, the water level would rise further, as the sump is likewise futher depleted, acheiving high tide, where the resevoir is at its lowest level, and the majority of the water is in the 'rest' of the tank.

The resevoir of course must not run dry, so there may be an (unmentioned) overflow in there somewhere to allow some water to re-enter the sump when both valves are closed. If not, I'd add one :)

It would appear that the hang-on filter is all that is responsible for pumping water out of the sump and back into the rest of the tank.

I commend the designer of such a system due in part to the fact that it is self-contained, so it won't spew all over the floor. Brilliant.

HTH, DHM

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Its pretty simple to create a tide that goes up and down. It can be done relativily easily with a small surge pipe. Use 1/2" surge drain to the sump, and a decent sized return pump and you can get it to drain and lower about once an hour.

Its a bit harder but still pretty simple to create a system that gives you accurate control over a tide with a computer or timer. These systems will cost quite a bit of money however...

Electronic actuated butterfly valves cost well over $100

Skippy

Grand Poobah of Fun
Aug 22, 2000
Dallas, TX
web.of.slacking.net
Well...

I have been thinking about this one...

It depends on how much water volume is involved in your tide. If it's a variance of say only a gallon or two. Here is an idea.

In one corner of the tank build a piston, use two pieces of PVC pipe fitting into one another with an O ring around a cap on the end of the inside one, and the hole drilled in the cap on the outside one.
This would create something along the lines of a plunger. Inside pipe pulled up would create a vaccuum and such water INTO the device... pushing down would push the water back out the same way it came in.

Next you attach a rod to the inside pipe, and attach it to the outside of a wheel being turned by a slow moving motor.
(1 rpd , revolution per day).

This would slowly fill and empty the pipe, resulting in a water displacement equal to the volume of the larger pipe.

It might be a cumbersome device , but it could be done that way without an inrodinate expense, outside a good very slow motor.

This whole thing makes alot more sense with the picture of it in my head right now, I will work on sketching it up.

(see, never give a guy with a workshop and genetic tinkering habit a problem like this. heh)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store