THIS IS WHAT I BOUGHT YESTERDAY for my 44 hex

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

palehorse78

not your average fishman
Sep 14, 2002
Atlanta
2 ANGEL FISH
2 GLASS FISH
4HEAD LIGHT TETRAS
ok it isnt alot of fighting but my fish are not schooling how do i make them school and wha ther fish should i buy as for as bottom dewllers.and i would like another schooling specis would some gorimous work.somebody had helped my out with a good list rij67 but i get erased.so what else should i get. 44 gallon hex

palehorse78

not your average fishman
Sep 14, 2002
Atlanta
and just how many angel fish can i fit into my 44 hex.i want at lest three diffrent kinds of schooling fish.and what are some good and again what does it take or my fish to school. thank in advance

rjl420

AC Members
May 13, 2002
Temecula, CA
photos.yahoo.com
hey, that was me that was helping you...

if the angels are juveniles, I would get at least 2 more to see if I could get a pair, but you would need to arrange with someone else or the LFS to take them back after you develop a pair. sometimes it's possible to keep 1 male and 2-3 females in one tank, but there is always the potential for problems and they can get rather large after a while. I try to keep gouramis seperate from angels because they can both be nippy sometimes towards each other, but others have done it successfully in the past. I would stick to dwarf gouramis tho.

to get your tetras to school, I would add a few more, maybe as many as 8 or so, as far as I know, most tetras will school together as long as they are similarly sized. my glowlight tetras school with my neons. Angels, when larger, will eat smaller tetras, but if they are raised in the same tanks you will rarely see a problem.

Are the glass fish painted? or are these the glass catfish or knifefish? the painted glass fish don't live to long because of the torture they go through while coloring them, and they are also a brackish species that are often sold in freshwater. maybe you could exchange them for some more tetras or something.

you still have a little room in that tank IMO for either a small school of barbs, like 4 green barbs (stay away from tiger barbs tho, they will nip the angels fins) and a pleco. if you wanted another school of fish rather than a single pleco, get some ottocinclus catfish (ottos), you should be able to get 4-5 in there and they will school together (as much as sucker fish can). if you decide to get a pleco, stay away from the commn plecos, they get FAR too big for most tanks and make a lot of waste. the smaller plecos, even thogh more expensive, are a much better choice.

HTH

palehorse78

not your average fishman
Sep 14, 2002
Atlanta
ok rjn can this work 4 more tetras,3 .more glass catfish,4 cherry barbs,3 cory cats.and could i squezze ine more angel in there. are can i get rid of the schools and possably put atwo convicts in there.thanks

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
If you kept more than 3,get a new tank as the angels grow,convicts won't mix with angels:D ,glassfish are brackish aren't they?

rjl420

AC Members
May 13, 2002
Temecula, CA
photos.yahoo.com
definately no convicts. they are far too aggresive for a community setup. and like I said about the angels, you'll probably want to have only 2 in there after a while, but you can start the tank with 4 or 5 angels until you get a pair, then trade in the others at your lfs.

other than that it sounds good. you'll enjoy the corys more than a single pleco imo.

serrateeth2002-

yup. glassfish are indeed brackish, but glass catfish are freshwater, also not to be confused with the glass knife fish from the earlier thread.

Last edited:

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
i know but i think palehorse78 is refering to the brackish one since there is no glass knife or catfish but then again,i may be wrong.Cories are good bottom cleaners provide the gravel isn't too big but they can't clean algae,otos die quickly too if the stock you bought from isn't good.

palehorse78

not your average fishman
Sep 14, 2002
Atlanta
i have glass catfish.ok no convicts so finsh my schools of glass catfish and headlight tetras and 4 cherry barbs 3 cory cats.i bougt a amazon sword what other plants should i use and they need to be hardy i am a begginer.and are you sure just one more angel wouldnt hurt it is 44 gallon.tia

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store