Labradoodles!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yep, the labradoodles don't shed, just as standard poodles don't shed.

They are starting to become popular, since they can be great hunting dogs, as well. See lots of them for sale in the papers around here. Unfortunately, they are often confused with the curly coated retriever--similar appearance, but curly coated retrievers are a breed, rather than a cross, and shed like regular labs.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
they're pretty cute.... I wonder what they look like as adults.... I can see where the confusion would come from as far as mixing them up with the flat-coated retriever but I thought the flat-coats were primarily black.... is that not true?

Rava

Betta Babe
Dec 26, 2002
CA
That's dumb! People are allergic to dog's dander, not the hair itself. You can even be allergic to hairless dogs, but it's less likely.

DD- OrionGirl said curly coated retrievers, not flat coated ones. :) Curlies apparently come in most colors, but I think you're right that flats are usually black.

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
Labradoodles were one of the breeds we were looking into getting when we were looking for a dog as we wanted a non shedding breed. They are very cute but in the end my parents said they got too big and went with a bichon/cocker cross.

Yes people can still be allergic to non sheddign dogs but most people are ok with them. "Non shedding" breeds possess a single layer of coat and generally produce less dander than double-coated breeds. My brother has asthma and can't even be in a house with a dog that sheds but with our dog he is completely fine.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
whoops.... my error..... I didn't realize there was another type of retrievers..... but I took a look at the differences and it seems to me that the curly coated has much more shorter hair than the labradoodle. I also wanted to note that while people are allergic to the animal dander/saliva/urine, it's said also that double layered coated dogs produce more of this than single layered coated ones thus provoking more reactions in people depending on their allergy level. Unless your pet allergy is mild, you are less likely to find a dog breed that would not bother your allergies at all.

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
All dogs shed.

All dogs shed.

All dogs shed.

Breeds (or non breeds like labradoodles) marketed as "non-shedding" still shed. The coat does not drop off the dog but is trapped in the coat where it sits until it is removed by brushing- this is why the "non-shedders" must be groomed more frequently than many other breeds.

If left in the coat the dead hair will form tangles and if neglected long enough will form mats. Then the dog will have to be shaved- and shaved close enough to get under the matting.

"Non-shedding" breeds can therefore be much higher maintenance than many of the sheddering breeds.
Whether the maintenance is done by you with a brush or with a groomer by appointment is up to you- unless the twice a year shave down appeals to you.
Some of the most difficult to maintain coats I have ever seen are the results of mixes- labradoodles among them. No way on earth would I take on a coat like that!

And not all "non-shedding" breeds are single coated either- Poodles and Bichons are double coated breeds regularly recommended to allergy sufferers.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Originally posted by Cearbhaill
And not all "non-shedding" breeds are single coated either- Poodles and Bichons are double coated breeds regularly recommended to allergy sufferers.
I agree with all your points except these.... so I tried seeing if I can find anything on it..... everything I've read so far has these two included in the "single-coated" group, and recommended for sufferers.... I mean, I know I shouldn't believe everything I read out there on the "net" but this is pretty conflicting, wouldn't you think? :confused:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Thanks for the correction--I wasn't aware that the crosses had the same level of grooming needed. Guess I hadn't really thought about it much!

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
A friend of mine has a bichon friese (sp?) and a labradoodle. They are both "hypoallergenic" ... notice the " " because technically any dog can cause an allergic reaction, but these breeds have a much lower chance of causing one.

Her son has severe asthma and other allergies, and his allergist actually recommended these breeds (along with certain poodles and another breed that escapes my mind right now), because he really, really wanted a dog.

They've had the bichon for 2 years and the labradoodle for 1 year, and so far so good, no reactions! My friend brushes both of them every night though. It doesn't take too long, because they're so used to it and the bichon likes it and will actuall go over to the shelf and get the brush when you ask him if he wants a rub.

I agree though, all dogs shed, but these breeds (and the poodle as well) don't shed on your clothes/furniture, it stays on their bodies.

Now if I can only get my landlord to agree to let me get a bichon I'll be one happy camper (I'm allergic to the dander too)...

~Tara

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store