What do you think?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

StreetCypher

AC Members
Apr 18, 2004
vancity, BC
Visit site
Since a great majority of users of this forum are Americans, i just want to know what you Americans think of Canadians?

I, myself, have a few stereotypes about Americans, but i won't get into them, and they're just stereotypes. My sister once went to cali and she got asked "Do you live in an igloo?". I think they were just joking, but, some people are extremely ignorant and easily enlightened.

So, what do you think of your brothers to the north?

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
I think most of us Americans view Canadians as our close cousins that talk a little different and like to drink beer, aye.

Shoot, most of America's most beloved movie stars are Canadians.

Canada is one of our states, right?:p

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
From my understanding, there is a wide variety of cultural differences within Canada, so a generalization is hard to make. I've never thought badly of Canadians as a whole--but as with all groups, there are exceptions.

I did find it amusing when I worked for a western clothing sales place that so many Canadians purchased shirts, jeans and boots from us--mostly because they would talk about buying 'cowboy' clothes, when no coyboy I've ever met would wear some of the best sellers...And certainly wouldn't tuck their jeans into their boots. :) But, I felt the same way about the callers from New Jersey and Hawaii. :D

Sensei_the_dojo

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
I'm pretty much in agreement with BroodStockGirl. ;) Both of our countries are large enough that they contain "wide varieties of cultural differences".

Small example. I was born in Massachusetts where everyone is in a big hurry for everything and the store clerks hardly bother to make eye contact with customers. Here in New Mexico life has a much more relaxed pace, and some grocers still carry the groceries out to your car for you.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Hooboy, that's a hard one. Hard to generalize about a whole country. Most days I don't even know what I think about Americans.

Some of my favorite relatives and a top-quality drinking buddy are Canadian. I guess they're OK.

StreetCypher

AC Members
Apr 18, 2004
vancity, BC
Visit site
I guess they're OK.
:laugh:

In grade school(Canadian) , especially in social studies, we were always taught that the U.S was a melting pot and Canada was a mosaic of cultures. Teachers usually said that in the U.S. everyone from all cultures were assimilated into being Americans. But, in Canada, we all kept our culture (religion, language, traditions, customs, sexual orientation, etc,etc). Are you guys taught that? What do you guys think?

I just want to know what you guys think and clear up my stereotypes. lol!

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Originally posted by OrionGirl

:p ;)

Where is that Danged Cull button anyway?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

shoot - double post... sorry :p

Last edited:

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Originally posted by OrionGirl

:p ;)

Where is that Danged Cull button anyway?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by spartan

In grade school(Canadian) , especially in social studies, we were always taught that the U.S was a melting pot and Canada was a mosaic of cultures. Teachers usually said that in the U.S. everyone from all cultures were assimilated into being Americans. But, in Canada, we all kept our culture (religion, language, traditions, customs, sexual orientation, etc,etc). Are you guys taught that? What do you guys think?

I just want to know what you guys think and clear up my stereotypes. lol!
I don't remember learning anything about the different cultures living here or there.... I always thought cultures were taught within the home no matter where you were. As far as Canada, I think the only thing I ever thought that was "Canadian" was that half the population knew how to talk French and the other half didn't.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store