Killifish Salmon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TonyN

AC Members
Mar 31, 2004
Connecticut
Visit site
This is gonna sound weird, but I just got a new Aquaclear 300 yesterday and this morning I found a full grown female killifish swimming around in the filter.
I got her out and while I was trying to check her out for injury, she swam right up the waterfall and back in the filter.
Ok - so far I've taken her out 4 times and she keeps jumping back in.
Are killifish related to salmon? :confused: Has anybody else ever seen anything like this? Maybe she's trying to find a safe place to lay her eggs? I dunno.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Many fish will do this--very normal behavior. They are swimming into current, just as they would in the wild. Might be worth it to check your parameters, but most likely, she's just doing her normal thing. You can block the access by stretching some nylon across the opening--won't block the water, but will keep the fish out.

I've found ghost and amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, dwarf puffers, cherry barbs, and swords in filters before.

TonyN

AC Members
Mar 31, 2004
Connecticut
Visit site
Wow - I never knew that. I never had a type of filter where they could do that before. A piece of nylon sounds good, I'm going to do that. Thanks.

ChicoRaton

Se?or Member
Jun 5, 2004
Idaho, USA
www.hazy8.com
haha when I first read this I thought you didn't have any killifish in the tank and POOF one appeared in your filter:laugh:

Dapple2

AC Members
Jul 3, 2003
Oregon
pictures.care2.com
Yep, most killies are avid jumpers! No relation to salmon, but boy can they find the tiniest little openings....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store