HELP-Red Tailed Black Shark attacking new fish!!! EEEK!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mlucifersam

AC Members
I have just bought 2 Silver Sharks to add to my tank of 2 Pearl Gouramis, Moutain Minnows, Tetras, Red Tailed Black Shark, Male Guppies and a Plec and 3 dwarf African Frogs. Now, I ASKED the fish shop if i could add these 2 Silver Sharks to a tank with a Red Tailed Black Shark and they said I could. Since adding them all he's done is chase the 2 newies and they are starting to look a bit battered and even have a few scales missing!! I dunno what else to do for now so I've used the bag the 2 fish came in and put the Black Shark in there so he can't attack them. But is that OK? At the mo, cos Black cant get to the Silvers they are swimming abou t quite happily! How long can I keep him in the bag for? Should the Black Shark REALLY be ok with the 2 Silver Sharks? Or would it be best to keep him in the bag till the morning and take the 2 Silver Sharks back? I'm worried cos it looks like if I let him out the 2 newies will be mince meat by the morning! Anyone who can gimme a quick answer would be VERY much appreciated!

I don't want any DEATH!!!!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Sharks do not mix well. Yours happens to be the most aggressive of the group--rainbows are milder, but not by much. You probably will not be able to add any fish that looks similar in body shape successfully.

What are the silver sharks? If they are columbians, these fish won't do well in a FW tank, get very large, and are highly predatory on smaller fish--you'd probably be better returning them.

mlucifersam

AC Members
The new ones are Bala Sharks (http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/cyprinids2/p/balashark.htm)

So if you suggest I take them back is it ok to keep the Black Shark in the bag till the morning? Its like 19:30 here so it would have to be over 12 hours! I don't want him or the newies to die!! The bag is quite big tho but he's not able to go in normal hiding place. If I let him out tho I reckon the Silver Sharks wont last the night!

The fool at the shop said they would be OK!!!!

Thanks for the reply !

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Balas get up to 12 inches easily, so outgrow most systems. I would take them back. They tend to be very skittish, and being beaten by the other shark will make them much worse.

If you can keep the black one in the bag, but still provide some water flow through that bag, so the wastes don't build up in the bag, you should be okay. A few small holes, and set it so the filter return pushed through--should work. Otherwise, keep dumping the water out and replacing it with fresh, treated water.

mlucifersam

AC Members
Right ok, Ive made a few holes in the bag and put it at the back of the tank. I dont wanna stress the Black Shark out too much. I'll release him as soon as the shops open tomorrow and then catch the Silver Sharks and take them back!

Shame tho cos now they are swimming about quite happily! Oh well

Thanks for the help.

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
I know my rainbow shark would be freaking out if he couldn't get to his hidey place... he gets pale whenever I move his driftwood for a water chagne... can you trade them out and put the other 2 sharks into the bag? Just a thought...

Sorry you have to return them though, that really stinks!! You should get a few more guppies, or maybe some more tetras to replace them.

What a bummer :(

~Tara

mlucifersam

AC Members
Oh I dunno! I think id just better leave it all now till morning. Theyve been disturbed loads. I'll keep an eye on the Black Shark and his colour, if he seems to be stressing then I'll have to swop whos in the bag!

Any one any more ideas?

mlucifersam

AC Members
BTW I dont want ANYMORE guppies!! NOOOOO! The reason I got the new fish was cos I had to take all my female guppies out cos all that was happening was they were constantly being hassled by the males, it wasnt a pleasant experience looking at the tank, you got more stressed watching them !! They looked like WHALES cos they were so preggers and were constantly popping out babies. The females nipped my a blue dwarf gourami to DEATH!!! So I took all 9 of them to the fish shop who let me swop them for these. I kept the males tho who have so clamed down now and dont spend their WHOLE lives chasing totty!

Seems I swap one hassle for another!!!

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
Yeah, you're right. Maybe once you shut the light out he'll be ok!

Good luck, let us know how you make out at the lfs!

~Tara

Copper

Nearsighted master of all I survey
May 11, 2004
Arlington, TX
Visit site
I have balas mixed with a black shark in the tank at the office. Granted, it's an 80 gal with lots of open water, and they have been together since they were all wee little fishies. The balas school together, but both species pretty well leave each other alone.

the balas get more trouble from the 1 gourami in the tank, but only at feeding time.

Guess there are always exceptions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store