Looking for interesting 10 gallon setups

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

static69static

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
www.angelfire.com
Well I have setup my 10 gallon twice as planted tank, and once again had to take it down. Over the holiday my heater stuck on and killed everything. Tore it down and cleaned it out. Looking to set it up again and have no clue what I want to do. Wanting to look at others 10 gallon setups to get an idea. Doesn't matter on the setup, I'm open for anything. Even unusual and neat setups. Hopefully I can figure out something and start planning it out. So lets see the 10 gallons!

Thanks,
Justin

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Members Aquarium Specs is a good place to start....a lot of people have their tanks listed there, mine included...

My tank isn't the best example, since my showcase fish is a temporary resident (a gold oranda, moving to 55 gallons by himself in a couple months...). If you're okay with trading fish on a regular basis or have a larger tank to move them to, it'd be a nice setup, though. Plus you don't need a heater for a goldfish tank...less equipment to tear up on you.

I always thought it would be cool to have a 10 gallon with a single electric blue lobster in it....

static69static

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
www.angelfire.com
Welp, I went through all the member tanks and there were just a few 10 gallons. Most are Q-tanks. So anybody have any tanks they didn't post, or have some neat ideas, please post.

static69static

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
www.angelfire.com
nice tank, I actually had a pair of blue rams in the tank. I was trying to breed them, and could never get pass the wiggler stage. I was totally disappointed to find everything dead when I got back from christmas break. I tore the tank down and didn't want to set it up again, but now miss it and looking for some neat ideas. I'm thinking about doing african shell dwellers, or a single puffer. Not sure, thinking about getting cockatoos and breeding them. But haven't decided, I have tried to do some searches on yahoo for 10 gallons and haven't found much except suggestions on what fish to put in it. I'm looking for some setups mostly, to see what neat things speople have done. So hopefully I will find something.

BigBadCatfish

Registered Member
Jan 2, 2003
newtown square pa
www.expage.com
I like 10 g tanks as much as the next rat, but when you have a ten gallon tank you probably want to focus on one type of scene. Like for instancte i have a 10 g setup that depicts the local fish in my area; i have 2 small largemouth bass on top, a small perch, and one small bullhead. All of these fish i caught myself on tiny hook and rod or net. I no all u conservationist weak links are gonna say this is really illegal, but u simply cant do a damn thing to me so- rat over!

HazyWater

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
SoCal U.S. of A
Dwarf puffers, bumble bee gobies, a pair of kribs, or killifish.
You could put some local minnows and such in there. The minnows and other baitfish don't suffer from the same size limits imposed on the gamefish. They also don't normally grow to large sizes in a surprisingly short period of time.
You could drop the water level of the 10g and pump water from one side into a waterfall on the opposite side. You'd have a small piece of a stream. A 20L would be better, but a 10 gallon should be fine. You could have some slateish looking stuff in your tank and take advantage of the water spray to grow some moss or a vine above the water.

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Originally posted by BigBadCatfish
I like 10 g tanks as much as the next rat, but when you have a ten gallon tank you probably want to focus on one type of scene. Like for instancte i have a 10 g setup that depicts the local fish in my area; i have 2 small largemouth bass on top, a small perch, and one small bullhead. All of these fish i caught myself on tiny hook and rod or net. I no all u conservationist weak links are gonna say this is really illegal, but u simply cant do a damn thing to me so- rat over!
Not illegal if you've got a fishing license...all of those are game fish. That get REALLY big. What we'll rag you for is having them in such tight quarters...

As far as setups go, Mine (ignoring the fish) is white sand substrate with big hunks of quartz and amethyst as centerpiece decorations. It's a nice look, minimal but rich.... I've got a set of those LED lights shining on the quartz, it makes it look like kryptonite in the tank....

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
10 and a 7 gallon

My 10 gallon quarantine tank turned into a guppy/molly tank. The 7 gallon bowfront is saltwater...
Nothing special or unique... Plant on the left is alive. It's an Anubias Nana (I think..). The 7 gallon saltwater is cycling. Want to get some 'live rock' soon for it, and then see if some reef type things will live in there.

Last edited:

static69static

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
www.angelfire.com
Well I still have no idea what I want to do. Since a student, looking for something with less work to maintain. Just have no idea, might put 1 male betta and 3-4 females in it. I like the puffer idea, and will go looking around the lfs to see if anybody has them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store